[comp.windows.x] X11R4 Motif GUI builders, screen melt & other fun games

zoran@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Zoran Hruskar) (12/13/90)

Recently (?) I saw an article listing various GUI builders that are available
for X11R4 with Motif on Sun Sparcs.  Since I have not saved the article
I hope some kind soul will ( repost || send_me ) that article.

While I have your attention I would also appreciate if you could share
any experience you may have had with any X11R4/Motif(1.0.3 - 1.1) GUI
builders and how well they work with UIL.

Now for some fun & games...
Where are the ftp sites for 'melt' and those little bugs that eat up
the screen (or any other progs like that)? ( X11R4 && Sunview )

Thanks for the help!

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (12/13/90)

zoran@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Zoran Hruskar) writes:
>Recently (?) I saw an article listing various GUI builders that are available
>for X11R4 with Motif on Sun Sparcs.  Since I have not saved the article
>I hope some kind soul will ( repost || send_me ) that article.
>
>While I have your attention I would also appreciate if you could share
>any experience you may have had with any X11R4/Motif(1.0.3 - 1.1) GUI
>builders and how well they work with UIL.

I suggest playing with Wcl, available on expo.  It provides a very small
extension to the existing resource scheme used by Widget sets including
Motif.  Basically, instead of introducing something rather complex and
extremely widget set specific like UIL, Wcl simply adds those very few
capabilities which UIL provided but Xrm did not.

Specifically, when you link in libWc, you can specify all this stuff
about the user interface in fully interpreted resource files:

	Widget Attributes		(standard Xrm)
	Widget Action Bindings		(standard Xrm)
	Widget Callback Bindings	(provided by Wcl)
	Widget Class or Constructor	(provided by Wcl)

This scheme has some nice advantages over using straight Xt calls
in your C code or using UIL:  Your C code simply implements callbacks
and initialization code.  That stuff is pretty simple, and pretty
compact.

Resource files are a *very* compact representation of a user
interface.  True, its not WYSIWYG, but its pretty darn easy
to write and change.  And, people *are* writing WYSIWYG GUI
builders which generate Wcl compatible resource files.

Also, libWc is very small.  On a SPARC, its 51082 bytes.
UIL, on the other hand, is 361122 bytes.  You can surmise
which is faster.

Also, your users can change *anything* about the interface.
If they want something on a menu, or on a dialog, or written in
some other language, or using some different manager widgets (as
long as they are linked in), or ...  Or, you users could do nothing,
and simply use the resource files you provide.

Its even possible to write applications with very little dependencies
on widget sets.  For example, I've got an application which allows
Athena, Motif, some locally developed widgets, and some widgets which
I grabbed off the net to be mixed together (carefully).  Since this
application runs on Suns with shared libraries, there is (almost)
no problem in linking in all the widget libraries.

Can't do that with UIL.

David Smyth				david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,		seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.			(818)393-0983
Jet Propulsion Lab, M/S 230-103, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109
   "A Guru is not one who simply knows all the answers.  Rather, a
    Guru is like one who walks among the mountains, and by wandering
    around abit, can see the horizon through long narrow canyons."