[comp.windows.x] blinking emulation

paulet@terre.matra-espace.fr (Pascal PAULET 6109 FAMI2) (12/13/90)

Alan, you wrote:

>I need to provide some kind of software blinking of colors.
>This is someting of a grey area for me (pardon the pun).

>Could a program be written to add a group of colors to the
>root window's default colormap, and periodically change the
>definition of those colors - thus affecting *all* windows
>on the display?

I personally never wrote such a program but I've seen a commercial
UIMS (SAMMI2 from SSI) which implemented a solution. By tracing the
X protocol with xscope, you can see that they have a dedicated
process which just uses XStoreColors on some entries of the default
colormap. In this way, they toggle specific entries of the colormap
and this provides quite a good blinking effect for X clients using
these specific entries.

Pascal.