[comp.windows.x] Making X work on Interactive 386/ix

dipto@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty) (11/30/90)

What is needed to run X gracefully under Interactive? Can someone
please throw some light/wisdom on possible incompatibilities and/or
known bugs/limitations with the components I have. Please email
your comments; I will summarize and post them later.

On an ALR 33/486 we are running Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2, along with
their X Windows 1.1 distribution ... and the performance sucks.

We have a Microsoft serial mouse and a high-performance Microfield
V8 graphics card on the system, ... but, the mouse drags are at a
lag of 3-4 seconds behind!

I would like  to know what is the best known combination of components
if I were to go for a price independent choice of graphics card,
machine etc., preferably with Interactive o.s
--
    dipto@umbc.bitnet -----\                     /----- uunet!ats!dipto
 dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu ------>   In-real-life:   <------ +1 301 384 1425

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (12/01/90)

dipto@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty) writes:
>On an ALR 33/486 we are running Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2, along with
>their X Windows 1.1 distribution ... and the performance sucks.

>We have a Microsoft serial mouse and a high-performance Microfield
>V8 graphics card on the system, ... but, the mouse drags are at a
>lag of 3-4 seconds behind!

there seems to be something wrong with your machine. you should
get really good performance with the microfield (regarding graphics
speed) and the 486 (regarding general performance). i think the
problem is with the mouse, perhaps the serial port is on the
wrong interrupt or something. You've got Real Nice Hardware,
and interactive is really able to use it!

we used a 386/25 with a microfield and a genius mouse with
very good results.

keep trying!
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (12/03/90)

In article <4572@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu (Dipto Chakravarty) writes:
-
-On an ALR 33/486 we are running Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2, along with
-their X Windows 1.1 distribution ... and the performance sucks.
-
-We have a Microsoft serial mouse and a high-performance Microfield
-V8 graphics card on the system, ... but, the mouse drags are at a
-lag of 3-4 seconds behind!

Something is horribly wrong with your system.  I run 386/ix 2.0.2 with
Interactive's X11 1.1 on a 20 MHz 386 and the performance is pretty good --
actually very good, except for loading big bitmaps.  At work I have a 25 MHz
386 running SCO Open Doorstop; it's quite a bit slower, but nothing like
what you've described.

I have noticed that my work system, which has a Logitech serial mouse,
exhibits very slow (although not measured in seconds!) and erratic mouse
response.  At home, I have a Logitech bus mouse, and it works MUCH more
nicely.  So I would recommend ditching the serial mouse, but I suspect
there's something much more fundamental wrong with your system.

--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell@redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (12/03/90)

> We have [...hardware summary...], ... but, the mouse drags are at a
> lag of 3-4 seconds behind!

This may not be the fault of your hardware; it may be a problem with
your clients.

Some clients animate mouse drags badly.  When mouse motions can be
generated faster than the thing being animated can be drawn, the naive
code produces animation which lags the mouse, and lags the mouse more
and more as the mouse is moved.  (If the mouse is left still, the
animation eventually catches up.)

This problem will often go unnoticed, because when everything is
running on nice fast machines with a nice fast network between them,
the time to update the animation is tiny compared to the interval
between mouse events, for any common animation (eg, window outlines).
But throw in a couple of slow gateways, or a machine which draws
relatively slowly for some reason, or a hardware/server combination
which produces mouse events unusually quickly, and you have a recipe
for bad lags when mouse dragging.

This problem arises when clients stupidly update the animation on
receipt of each MotionNotify event, without paying any attention to all
the other MotionNotify events that are sitting in the queue.  This is
precisely what PointerMotionHintMask was created for; everybody doing
this sort of mouse dragging should learn how to use it.  (Some clients
"fix" the problem by doing a stream of QueryPointer requests instead.
This sort-of cures the problem when it's due to slow drawing or
fine-grained mouse tracking, but actually makes netowrk-caused problems
worse.  It's not the right fix.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/05/90)

In <1607@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
> In <4572@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu (Dipto Chakravarty) writes:
> - We have a Microsoft serial mouse and a high-performance Microfield
> - V8 graphics card on the system, ... but, the mouse drags are at a
> - lag of 3-4 seconds behind!
>
> Something is horribly wrong with your system.

Just a whim, but check to see what interrupt you are using for the mouse.
I tried my tape drive on interrupt 2, and it did not work.  I changed it
to 9, and it works fine.  The sympthoms were similar--it sort of worked,
but real slow.  A net neighbor had a similar problem with his mouse.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

In article <1607@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
>I have noticed that my work system, which has a Logitech serial mouse,
>exhibits very slow (although not measured in seconds!) and erratic mouse
>response.  At home, I have a Logitech bus mouse, and it works MUCH more
>nicely.  So I would recommend ditching the serial mouse, but I suspect
>there's something much more fundamental wrong with your system.

This isn't the case with any of the Logitech serial devices we have here.  They
all work like a charm and the response is great.  (we use both serial mice and
serial trackballs).

If you are having problems with a mouse, it isn't the class of mouse itself (in
other words, your mouse may be screwed up, but replacing it with another one
from the same manufacturer should fix the problem).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

heimir@rhi.hi.is (Heimir Thor Sverrisson) (12/07/90)

In <1990Dec05.122421.24560@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>In article <1607@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
>>I have noticed that my work system, which has a Logitech serial mouse,
>>exhibits very slow (although not measured in seconds!) and erratic mouse
>>response.  At home, I have a Logitech bus mouse, and it works MUCH more
>>nicely.  So I would recommend ditching the serial mouse, but I suspect
>>there's something much more fundamental wrong with your system.
I've got a serial Logitech-mouse here, and had some trouble with it,
especially when starting the server (it would fail every other time) until
I changed the configuration from LOGI-S to MSC-S and since then it's been
working just fine.  I think I saw this fix in the Release notes somewhere.

Heimir Thor Sverrisson (TF3ANT)		heimir@hafro.is

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (12/14/90)

> In article <1607@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
> >I have noticed that my work system, which has a Logitech serial mouse,
> >exhibits very slow (although not measured in seconds!) and erratic mouse
> >response.  At home, I have a Logitech bus mouse, and it works MUCH more
> >nicely.  So I would recommend ditching the serial mouse, but I suspect
> >there's something much more fundamental wrong with your system.
>
> This isn't the case with any of the Logitech serial devices we have here.  They
> all work like a charm and the response is great.  (we use both serial mice and
> serial trackballs).

	Ditto here.  I have the Logitech serial mouse.  Works great with
	my Toshiba 5200 and X.

	Frank G.