[comp.windows.x] Need a way to immediately unmap a widget

welling@SEURAT.PSC.EDU (12/14/90)

I have a question which arises when I am dealing with a Motif File
Selection Dialog.  When the user selects a file, I would like the
selection dialog widget to immediately disappear.  I unmanage the
widget, but because I would prefer to keep the widget intact I do
not destroy it.

The widget disappears the next time I call XtDispatchEvent, but because
I must read in the file the user has selected in the mean time, I don't
get around to dispatching the next event for a while.  (I don't use
XtAppMainLoop because I need to maintain overall control of the event
loop).  Is there anything I can do which will immediately unmap the
file dialog widget, short of destroying it?

Thanks,
-Joel Welling
 Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/14/90)

In article <9012131950.AA02556@seurat.psc.edu> welling@SEURAT.PSC.EDU writes:

>I have a question which arises when I am dealing with a Motif File
>Selection Dialog.  When the user selects a file, I would like the
>selection dialog widget to immediately disappear.  I unmanage the
>widget, but because I would prefer to keep the widget intact I do
>not destroy it.
>
>The widget disappears the next time I call XtDispatchEvent, but because

How about doing an XFlush(XtDisplay(w)) or XSync(XtDisplay(w))
right after the XtUnmanageWidget(w);

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Offensive quote coming soon to a .signature file near you.