[comp.windows.x] tablets, dials, in X?

pfuetz@baloo.uucp (Matthias Pfuetzner) (12/14/90)

Hello everybody!

I'd  like  to know  whether  there is  somewhere code  or  any kind of
documentation on   how  to integrate   dials and  tablets    (like  in
InterGraph workstations) into the X-window environment. Any hint might
be of interest.

Thanks in advance,
	Matthias
-----
            @work:            | Matthias Pfuetzner  |         @home:
  ZGDV, Wilhelminenstrasse 7  | 6100 Darmstadt, FRG |  Lichtenbergstrasse 73
    +49 6151 155-164 or -101  \    <- Tel.nr. ->    /     +49 6151 75717
   pfuetzner@agd.fhg.de    pfuetzner@zgdvda.UUCP    XBR1YD3U@DDATHD21.BITNET

pmartz@undies.dsd.es.com (Paul Martz) (12/15/90)

In article <3692@zgdvda.zgdvda.uucp>, pfuetz@baloo.uucp (Matthias Pfuetzner) writes:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'd  like  to know  whether  there is  somewhere code  or  any kind of
> documentation on   how  to integrate   dials and  tablets    (like  in
> InterGraph workstations) into the X-window environment. Any hint might
> be of interest.

Evans and Sutherland ships the Input Extension to X as part of the
X Server for the ESV workstation, which supports digitizing
tablets, knob boxes, etc.  I believe this extension is X Consortium
approved, and will be on the X11R5 tape (if it isn't already on the
R4 tape). Your system will, of course, need device drivers for
these devices (E&S writes their own).

Now, if you want info from someone who *knows* what they're talking
about, write to gms@hpcvxgs.cv.hp.com (George Sachs) who is the
author of this particular extension. There is also a mailing list
for those interested, xinput@expo.lcs.mit.edu (xinput-request to
sign up).

--

   -paul	pmartz@dsd.es.com