[comp.windows.x] Color to Gray Scale

etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) (12/15/90)

Here is a question that has always bothered me:

Why is the formula for a gray level =
	.3 * red + .6 * green + .1 * blue   (approximately)

It seems to me that you REALLY want :

	sqrt((red * red + green * green + blue * blue) / 3)

since gray is a measure of intensity.

--
					Eric Taylor
					Baylor College of Medicine

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (12/15/90)

Eric Taylor writes:

> Here is a question that has always bothered me:
>
> Why is the formula for a gray level =
>	.3 * red + .6 * green + .1 * blue   (approximately)
>
> It seems to me that you REALLY want :
>
>	sqrt((red * red + green * green + blue * blue) / 3)
>
> since gray is a measure of intensity.

The first formula reflects the fact that human eye is not equally
sensitive to the brightness of red, green and blue light.  In particular
the eye's response to blue light is much less than that to red or green
(note that most people perceive saturated blue as a dark colour and
saturated green as a dark colour).  If you want the full details on this
take at look at Foley, van Dam, Feiner and Hughes [%], p574ff or any
other good text on computer graphics.

		Chris Flatters

[%] "Computer Graphics, Principles and Practice", 2nd Edn., Foley et al.,
Addison-Wesley, 1990.