[net.news] Rogue Source -- READ THIS!!!!!

stuart@sesame.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) (08/26/85)

> I quote from net.announce.newusers, the only un-unsubscribable group SO
> PEOPLE NEW TO THE NET WILL READ IT!!!:
>
> Newsgroups: net.announce.newusers
> Subject: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (Last changed: 14 July 1985)
>
> 10.  net.games: Where can I get the source for empire or
>      rogue?
>
>      You can't.  The authors of these games, as is their right, have
>      chosen not to make the sources available.
>

> Now, to Kay and the original poster of the rogue sources request:
> If this is somehow not available on your system (net.announce.newusers),
> please let me know via mail and I will send you a full copy.  If it is
> available, READ ALL THE ARTICLES IN net.announce.newusers BEFORE YOU
> POST ANYTHING ELSE.
>
> Thanks, and my apologies to my fellow netters for clogging net.wanted.sources
> with this stuff.
>
> Wasn't net.announce.newusers supposed to stem the tide we get whenever
> the students come back from summer/Christmas breaks?
> --
>
> The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
> alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj
> 			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua masscomp ]!clyde!rcj

The stuff in net.announce.newusers will only 'work' if we have responsible
site administrators everywhere.  This means that the netnews administrator
of a site should not only make him/herself available for questions of new
users, but also perhaps withhold posting privileges until after a certain
period of 'education' on the net (whether it be a lecture or experience
reading).  We withhold posting privileges from new users on ncoast (a
public access system in Cleveland) until we can tell that they are
responsible users.  The basic problem is that most people on the net
treat posting as a right rather than a privilege.  I am worried about
the future of the net if this attitude continues to prevail.
--
Stuart Freedman		{genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!stuart
Data General Corp.		{cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!stuart

I'm too busy reading other people's cute quotes to think of any of my own.