[comp.windows.x] cm problems

dcox@tweety.ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (12/14/90)

[Sun4/260, SunOS4.0.3, OpenWindows Version2]

One of the users on my network has moved to another machine.  The
name of his old machine was happy, so his calendar info was in
happy:/usr/spool/calendar/callog.<username>.  He has moved to a
new machine called sleepy, and I am trying to rcp this file from
his old machine into /usr/spool/calendar on his new to retain all
of his calendar appointments.  When I call up his calendar on the
new machine it keeps coming up blank.  Is there more to it than
just copying over this file?  Has anyone come up with a better way
of accessing this information?  It's kind of a pain always having to
login to the same machine to check your own calendar.

Thanks.
--
                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

doug@genmri.UUCP (Doug Becker) (12/15/90)

    When I call up his calendar on the
    new machine it keeps coming up blank.  Is there more to it than
    just copying over this file?

You probably need to kill the Calendar Manager Service Daemon (rpc.cmsd)
after you've copied the new calendar file over.  Starting a new Calendar
Manager should then invoke a new rpc.cmsd daemon (via inetd), which will
read the new calendar file.

--

Douglas H. Becker
doug@nmri.GE.COM

croft@csusac.csus.edu (Steve Croft) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec14.152243.4909@ssd.kodak.com> dcox@tweety.ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:
>         .    .      .                 Is there more to it than
>just copying over this file?  Has anyone come up with a better way
>of accessing this information?  It's kind of a pain always having to
>login to the same machine to check your own calendar.

Make sure you restart the cm daemon.

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec14.152243.4909@ssd.kodak.com>,
dcox@tweety.ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) writes:

> [Sun4/260, SunOS4.0.3, OpenWindows Version2]
>
> One of the users on my network has moved to another machine.  The
> name of his old machine was happy, so his calendar info was in
> happy:/usr/spool/calendar/callog.<username>.  He has moved to a
> new machine called sleepy, and I am trying to rcp this file from
> his old machine into /usr/spool/calendar on his new to retain all
> of his calendar appointments.  When I call up his calendar on the
> new machine it keeps coming up blank.  Is there more to it than
> just copying over this file?  Has anyone come up with a better way
> of accessing this information?  It's kind of a pain always having to
> login to the same machine to check your own calendar.

You need to make sure that the permisssions on /usr/spool/calendar are
drwxrwsrwt (1777 I think), and that both the owner and the group are
daemon.
Then, you need to restart rpc.cmsd.  I have had problems where this
would
not work, but after setting it up correctly, and rebooting the machine,
all is well.

> Thanks.
> --
>                   Don Cox
> Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998
> INTERNET    dcox@ssd.kodak.com
> When an eel bites your leg, and the pain makes you beg, that's a
moray!

--

---
Greg Pasquariello