[comp.windows.x] XtAddTimeOut unreliability

lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) (12/07/90)

I am adding a time out using XtAddTimeOut.  It doesn't appear
that my time out is reliably being executed, however.  The timeout is
performed at inconsistent times.  For example, when I set the timeout to
5 seconds (i.e. 5000 milliseconds), it is rarely executed after only 5 secs.
When there is any user input (even moving the mouse) AND the interval
has elapsed, the timeout ALWAYS gets executed immediately.  With no
user input the timeout will sometimes get executed after a minute or two.

Anyone seen this problem?  Any ideas?

P.S.  I am using SunOS 4.1, X11R3, Motif 1.0.3, TeleUSE 1.1.  XtAddTimeOut
is being called from a C++ routine with the address of an extern "C" routine.
My timeout routine then calls XtAddTimeOut again with's its own address, to
keep the timeout cycle going.

--

Larry Poleshuck
Citibank

Phone:  212-657-7709
Fax:    212-825-8607
E-Mail: uunet!ibism!lcp

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/07/90)

In article <12099@ibism.uucp> ibism!lcp writes:
>I am adding a time out using XtAddTimeOut.  It doesn't appear
>that my time out is reliably being executed, however.  The timeout is
> [...]
>P.S.  I am using SunOS 4.1, X11R3, Motif 1.0.3, TeleUSE 1.1.  XtAddTimeOut
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's the problem.  R3 XtAddTimeOut has some, dare I say, well documented
problems.  I've done the same thing you describe in R4 with Motif 1.1
and have no problems on our Sun 4s.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

You can please all of the people some of the time,

lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec6.205556.11629@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>, kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:
> In article <12099@ibism.uucp> ibism!lcp writes:
> >I am adding a time out using XtAddTimeOut.  It doesn't appear
> >that my time out is reliably being executed, however.  The timeout is
> > [...]
> >P.S.  I am using SunOS 4.1, X11R3, Motif 1.0.3, TeleUSE 1.1.  XtAddTimeOut
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> There's the problem.  R3 XtAddTimeOut has some, dare I say, well documented
> problems.  I've done the same thing you describe in R4 with Motif 1.1
> and have no problems on our Sun 4s.

Thanks for the responses regarding my TimeOut problem.   It turns out that it will be a few months until TeleUSE is available with Motif 1.1 and X11R4.  Does
anyone know of any work-arounds to this problem until I am able to upgrade to
X11R4 and Motif 1.1.
--

Larry Poleshuck
Citibank

Phone:  212-657-7709
Fax:    212-825-8607
E-Mail: uunet!ibism!lcp

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (12/12/90)

ibism!lcp writes:
 >kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	) writes:
 >> ibism!lcp writes:
 >> >I am adding a time out using XtAddTimeOut.  It doesn't appear
 >> >that my time out is reliably being executed, however.  The timeout is
 >> > [...]
 >> >P.S.  I am using SunOS 4.1, X11R3, Motif 1.0.3, TeleUSE 1.1.  XtAddTimeOut
 >>
 >> There's the problem.  R3 XtAddTimeOut has some, dare I say, well documented
 >> problems.  I've done the same thing you describe in R4 with Motif 1.1
 >> and have no problems on our Sun 4s.
 >
 >Thanks for the responses regarding my TimeOut problem.   It turns out that it
 >will be a few months until TeleUSE is available with Motif 1.1 and X11R4.  Does
 >anyone know of any work-arounds to this problem until I am able to upgrade to
 >X11R4 and Motif 1.1.

Sure!  Use Wcl instead.  Works fine with Motif 1.1.1, and has always worked
with X11R4.

David Smyth				david@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Senior Software Engineer,		seismo!cit-vax!jpl-devvax!david
X and Object Guru.			(818)393-0983
Jet Propulsion Lab, M/S 230-103, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109
--------------------------- Quote of the Day: ---------------------------
   "A Guru is not one who simply knows all the answers.  Rather, a
    Guru is like one who walks among the mountains, and by wandering
    around abit, can see the horizon through long narrow canyons."

lcp@ibism.UUCP (Larry Poleshuck) (12/18/90)

In article <10708@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) writes:
>  >anyone know of any work-arounds to this problem until I am able to upgrade to
>  >X11R4 and Motif 1.1.
>
> Sure!  Use Wcl instead.  Works fine with Motif 1.1.1, and has always worked
> with X11R4.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Wcl?

--

Larry Poleshuck