[comp.windows.x] GA of OPEN LOOK Release 4

ytsai@attunix.att.COM (12/12/90)

		FOR RELEASE MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 1990

	SUMMIT, N.J. -- UNIX System Laboratories, Inc. (USL), today
	announced several new products which together make its OPEN
	LOOK(R) Graphical User Interface (GUI), already the easiest
	GUI to use, even easier.

	The new products are the latest releases of USL's OPEN LOOK
	GUI, XWIN(R) Graphical Windowing System (GWS), and ALEX(TM)
	developer's tool software.  Together, OPEN LOOK and XWIN GWS
	provide the most complete solution for development of a
	graphical windowing system for UNIX(R) System V.

	OPEN LOOK GUI, the USL ``look and feel'' for UNIX System V
	Release 4, and XWIN GWS, USL's implementation of the X Window
	System(TM) ported to System V, are available individually or
	combined.  Together, they are offered as Graphics Services
	Version 4.  ALEX software, which is a language extension to X
	developer's tool, is available separately.

	``With the feature-rich Release 4 of the OPEN LOOK GUI, XWIN
	GWS, and ALEX software, USL demonstrates its commitment to
	provide a technically superior Graphical User Interface,''
	said Joel Appelbaum, vice president of Open Solutions Software
	at USL.

	OPEN LOOK GUI continues to lead in the availability of commercial
	applications (such as graphics/illustration and word processing/
	desktop publishing) by a wide margin over its nearest competitor,
	according to a report in the December 1990 Personal Workstation
	magazine.

	An intuitive user interface, OPEN LOOK GUI contains a completely
	``customizable'' environment featuring icons, push-pins, pull-
	down menus, point-and-click desktop and file manager, and other
	utilities found in ``user-friendly'' systems.  The interface is
	easy to master without any prior experience, and requires less
	effort than other GUIs, such as fewer keystrokes and shorter
	cursor movements.

	OPEN LOOK GUI works with any implementation of the industry-
	standard Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) X Window
	System Intrinsics Version X11R4, and provides complete compa-
	tibility for applications developed with earlier releases of
	OPEN LOOK GUI.

	In addition to being ported to the latest release of the MIT
	intrinsics, both OPEN LOOK GUI and XWIN GWS boast enhancements
	that deliver better performance and faster image transfer.

	With these new releases, end users are able to use single keys
	to customize:

		- the mouse, by changing assigned button settings
		  to control its movements and modify the time
		  between double clicks;

		- any of the more than 75 key settings used to
		  navigate the screen; and

		- the color palette, which allows users to choose
		  between pre-defined color selections or create
		  their own.

	OPEN LOOK GUI Release 4 offers realistic three-dimensional
	visuals that provide enriched appearance and improved visual
	feedback to user input.  Monochromatic monitor users will
	appreciate OPEN LOOK GUI's flexibility in supporting 2-D as
	well as 3-D looks, because 2-D provides a better monochromatic
	appearance.

	Release 4 of the OPEN LOOK GUI enables users who choose not
	to use a mouse to traverse the screen by using keyboard
	accelerators or navigational keys.  Release 4 of XWIN GWS
	includes support for multiple servers, allowing users to run
	a server in each virtual terminal or on multiple terminals
	connected to a single central processing unit (CPU).  In
	addition, the latest version of the XWIN GWS takes advantage
	of the Named Streams feature of UNIX System V Release 4, while
	providing enhanced performance on both UNIX System V Release 3.2
	and Release 4.

	XWIN GWS recently received X/Open branding as XPG3 compliant,
	signifying that it meets X/Open's standards for portability.

	ALEX software enables programmers to convert character-based
	applications to OPEN LOOK graphical applications without
	modifying existing source code.  ALEX significantly increases
	programmer productivity, and requires no knowledge of the X
	tool kit intrinsics.  A fundamental GUI objective -- to make
	every application behave in a simple and consistent fashion
	-- is achieved with ALEX software.

	Graphics Services Version 4, OPEN LOOK GUI and XWIN GWS are
	available now.  Source licensing fees for Graphics Services
	Version 4, which includes OPEN LOOK GUI and XWIN GWS, are
	$20,000 for the initial CPU.  Offered separately, XWIN GWS is
	also available for a $20,000 source licensing fee for the
	initial CPU.  OPEN LOOK GUI, also offered separately, has a
	source licensing fee of $1,000 for the initial CPU.  Current
	UNIX System V Release 4, Graphics Services, and XWIN customers
	can upgrade through April 1, 1991 at a 50 percent discount.

	ALEX 1.0 software, which will work with OPEN LOOK Release 2.0
	in a UNIX System V Release 3.2 environment, will be available
	on Jan. 15, 1991 for a source licensing fee of $20,000 for the
	initial CPU.  An OPEN LOOK Release 4.0-compatible version will
	be available in a UNIX System V Release 4 environment later in
	the first quarter 1991.

	Vendors who wish to license the OPEN LOOK GUI, XWIN GWS,
	Graphics Services Version 4, or ALEX software should contact
	USL in Greensboro, N.C., at 1-800-828-UNIX or the appropriate
	USL subsidiary in London; Tokyo; New Delhi, India; Taipei,
	Taiwan; or Seoul, Korea.

	USL, a subsidiary of AT&T, develops and markets UNIX System
	V and related system software in source code form to computer
	hardware and system software vendors worldwide.  USL, formerly
	known as AT&T's UNIX Software Organization, works closely with
	UNIX International, Inc., to ensure that UNIX System V evolves
	in step with the needs of the Open Systems Industry.

			       #   #   #

	OPEN LOOK, XWIN and UNIX are registered trademarks of UNIX
	System Laboratories, Inc.  X WINDOW SYSTEM is a trademark of the
	Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  ALEX is a trademark of
	System Strategies Limited.

				-- Joe Kerrigan

 				   UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
 				   190 River Road, Room E-328
 				   Summit, NJ 07901

 				   voice:  (908) 522-6230
 				   e-mail: att!attunix!joe
 				           joe@attunix.att.com

	COMMENT:

	Since USL is a source product provider, the prices listed in the
	press announcement are for the ISV's.  Users are encouraged to
	request the 3D/mouseless OPEN LOOK binary package directly from
	their favorite vendor(s).

 				-- Charles Tsai

 				   UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
 				   190 River Road, Room 4-236
 				   Summit, NJ 07901

 				   voice:  (908) 522-6681
 				   e-mail: att!attunix!ytsai
 				           ytsai@attunix.att.com

mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (12/16/90)

> Subject: GA of OPEN LOOK Release 4  (Product Announcement)

> 		FOR RELEASE MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 1990

Please cut the marketing BS when posting to xpert.

I refer to comments like

> 	SUMMIT, N.J. -- UNIX System Laboratories, Inc. (USL), today
> 	announced several new products which together make its OPEN
> 	LOOK(R) Graphical User Interface (GUI), already the easiest
> 	GUI to use, even easier.

Try instead

	SUMMIT, N.J. -- UNIX System Laboratories, Inc. (USL), today
	announced several new products for its OPEN LOOK GUI.

I could go on, picking apart the rest of the posting in detail, but
since this message is being sent to a great many mailboxes, I'll
restrain myself to pointing out a couple of invalid implicit
assumptions and near-lies.  (Why am I posting this to the list?  It's a
(probably hopeless) attempt to keep it from happening again.)

> 	its OPEN LOOK(R) Graphical User Interface (GUI), already the
> 	easiest GUI to use,

This is entirely a matter of opinion.  I find that OL is nearly
unusable.  Not everybody agrees with you as to what makes a GUI easy to
use, and indeed, the very thing that makes a GUI easy-to-use for one
user is often a major impediment for another.

> 	An intuitive user interface, OPEN LOOK GUI contains a
> 	completely ``customizable'' environment featuring icons,
> 	push-pins, pull-down menus, point-and-click desktop and file
> 	manager, and other utilities found in ``user-friendly''
> 	systems.

`Completely' customizable?  I have yet to see *any* GUI, other than the
one I designed and implemented myself, that can be customized to my
taste.  (To pick a simple example: how do I get rid of the title bars?)

I would estimate that your posting could have been cut by a factor of
2, probably 3, without impairing its information content.  (If you want
me to demonstrate, mail me a copy and I'll mail back an edited-down
version.)  The 50 to 70 percent I refer to may be appropriate in an
advertising glossy, or in biz.*, but surely not here.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

ytsai@attunix.att.COM (12/18/90)

article from der Mouse  <mouse@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> writes:

  > > Subject: GA of OPEN LOOK Release 4  (Product Announcement)
  >
  > > 		FOR RELEASE MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 1990
  >
  > Please cut the marketing BS when posting to xpert.

I'm sorry if you found it inappropriate for this forum, but I simply
forwarded a press announcement without any modification.

  > I refer to comments like
  >
  > 	(... skipped ...)
  >
  > I could go on, picking apart the rest of the posting in detail, but
  > since this message is being sent to a great many mailboxes, I'll
  > restrain myself to pointing out a couple of invalid implicit
  > assumptions and near-lies.  (Why am I posting this to the list?  It's a
  > (probably hopeless) attempt to keep it from happening again.)

Have you had a chance to use our OPEN LOOK 4.0?  If you haven't,
what are your comments based on?

OL 4.0 is just now available in the source format.  I don't believe
you have had an opportunity to evaluate the above mentioned software.

  > > 	its OPEN LOOK(R) Graphical User Interface (GUI), already the
  > > 	easiest GUI to use,
  >
  > This is entirely a matter of opinion.  I find that OL is nearly
  > unusable.  Not everybody agrees with you as to what makes a GUI easy to
  > use, and indeed, the very thing that makes a GUI easy-to-use for one
  > user is often a major impediment for another.

You are correct that assessments of GUI features can be a matter of
opinion.  Since this xpert forum is used frequently for expressing
personal opinions, you are welcome to your own opinions, even if they
are uninformed.

Some human-factors studies (outside of AT&T and/or USL) showed that
OPEN LOOK had the highest satisfaction ratings when compared against
Presentation Manager and Motif.  (The tested population was 50%
professional, 50% clerical and secretarial). In addition, it took
people 50% LESS time to learn OPEN LOOK than to learn Presentation
Manager.  So, indeed, ease of use is frequently a subjective opinion,
but the claims about OPEN LOOK are backed up by formal human factors
studies.  What statistically valid studies do you have to back up
your opinions?

  > 	(... skipped ...)
  >
  > `Completely' customizable?  I have yet to see *any* GUI, other than the
  > one I designed and implemented myself, that can be customized to my
  > taste.  (To pick a simple example: how do I get rid of the title bars?)

You are correct that the press release overstates the case; an
OPEN LOOK GUI will constrain user customizability to within the
OPEN LOOK specification.

  > I would estimate that your posting could have been cut by a factor of
  > 2, probably 3, without impairing its information content.  (If you want
  > me to demonstrate, mail me a copy and I'll mail back an edited-down
  > version.)  The 50 to 70 percent I refer to may be appropriate in an
  > advertising glossy, or in biz.*, but surely not here.
  >
  > 					der Mouse
  >
  > 			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
  > 			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

I'll respond privately to the comments in your mail because I don't
think the public network is an appropriate forum for this type of
"discussion."

 				-- Charles Tsai

 				   UNIX System Laboratories, Inc.
 				   190 River Road, Room 4-236
 				   Summit, NJ 07901

 				   voice:  (908) 522-6681
 				     fax:  (908) 522-6602
 				  e-mail:  att!attunix!ytsai
 				           ytsai@attunix.att.com

jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu (Joe English Muffin) (12/18/90)

ytsai@attunix.att.COM writes:

>article from der Mouse  <mouse@lightning.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> writes:
>  > Please cut the marketing BS when posting to xpert.

>I'm sorry if you found it inappropriate for this forum, but I simply
>forwarded a press announcement without any modification.

A press announcement IS inappropriate for xpert and comp.windows.x.

>Some human-factors studies (outside of AT&T and/or USL) showed that
>OPEN LOOK had the highest satisfaction ratings when compared against
>Presentation Manager and Motif.  (The tested population was 50%
>professional, 50% clerical and secretarial). In addition, it took
>people 50% LESS time to learn OPEN LOOK than to learn Presentation
>Manager.  So, indeed, ease of use is frequently a subjective opinion,
>but the claims about OPEN LOOK are backed up by formal human factors
>studies.  What statistically valid studies do you have to back up
>your opinions?

There is no such thing as a ``statistically valid study'' which
proves anything at all about such subjective factors as ease of
use.  (By the way, what field were the tested professionals in?
It makes a big difference if they were professional programmers or,
say, marketing professionals.)

Also, ease of learning != ease of use.  I've used Open Look
applications and olwm (not 4.0, an earlier version) and yes,
I did figure them out without any difficulty.  But I would MUCH
rather use twm because I can get it to work however I want it to.
Sure, it's completely unintuitive that clicking control-meta-button1
inside a window iconifies it, and sure, it took a couple hours
of manual-perusing to figure out how to get it to work that
way, but that kind of functionality and configurability is a very
important factor when it comes to ease of use.  Maybe not
to the average clerical or marketing type, but it is to
many others.

>  > `Completely' customizable?  I have yet to see *any* GUI, other than the
>  > one I designed and implemented myself, that can be customized to my
>  > taste.  (To pick a simple example: how do I get rid of the title bars?)

>You are correct that the press release overstates the case; an
>OPEN LOOK GUI will constrain user customizability to within the
>OPEN LOOK specification.

Right.  You can change the look and feel to anything you
like, as long as it looks and feels like OPEN LOOK.  And
there's no reason to go outside the OPEN LOOK spec because
it's the easiest to use -- a Reagan Administration study
proved this.  I don't buy it.

--Joe English

  jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu

mouse@LIGHTNING.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (12/18/90)

>>> Subject: GA of OPEN LOOK Release 4  (Product Announcement)
>>> 		FOR RELEASE MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 1990
>> Please cut the marketing BS when posting to xpert.
> I'm sorry if you found it inappropriate for this forum, but I simply
> forwarded a press announcement without any modification.

Precisely.  When the `press announcement' is this full of
self-back-patting and (other) semantically null rhetoric, I consider it
inappropriate for xpert.

>> I refer to comments like
[...]
> Have you had a chance to use our OPEN LOOK 4.0?  If you haven't, what
> are your comments based on?

Your posted `press announcement'.  I am/was not criticizing OL; I
am/was criticizing your posting.

> Some human-factors studies (outside of AT&T and/or USL) showed that
> OPEN LOOK had the highest satisfaction ratings when compared against
> Presentation Manager and Motif.

Well, if those were the only other choices, I might pick OL too.
(*Might*, I say; I don't know.)  I don't suppose any of these studies
let the users design their own interfaces?  No, of course not;
everybody knows that one design team in California knows more about how
thousands of users all over the world want their UIs to behave than the
users themselves do.

Besides, we all know that studies are like benchmarks - look hard
enough and you can always find some that can be construed to support
your case.  If I cared enough to bother I would even write to the PM
and Motif people and ask them about studies supporting their UIs as
"the best".  I doubt not they would gladly cite such....

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (12/18/90)

In article <13744@chaph.usc.edu> jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu (Joe English Muffin) writes:
>   Also, ease of learning != ease of use.  I've used Open Look
>   applications and olwm (not 4.0, an earlier version) and yes,

I believe Joe, myself, and several others are confused here.

Flame to AT&T:

According to popular usage, OPEN LOOK is NOT a toolkit. There are at
least five OPEN LOOK toolkits I have heard of, and calling your
toolkit OPEN LOOK is confusing people. Sun calls it OLIT.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

ytsai@attunix.att.COM (12/19/90)

Please forward your criticism/suggestion to ytsai@att.com.  Here is
not a public forum for the discussion.

I respect the rights of all XPERT subscribers.  If you are really
bothered by the forwarded PA, please send me your complaint.  If you
think it is informative, please let me know also.

If you are interested in the undergoing discussion between mouse,
Joe and I, I would be very happy to put you in the CC list.

Regards,

 				-- Charles Tsai