[comp.windows.x] Silicon Graphics hardware, Motif, and PEX

JOHNSTON%NRCMTC.NRC.CA@VM.NRC.CA (Dan Johnston) (12/13/90)

Michael Tucker of Boeing Computer Services
(....uunet!bcstec!evtprp0b!mrt7455) recently posted a request for info
on SGI hardware, Motif a,d availability of PEX.  I don't have a clean way
to send mail to him directly, so I will post this.  I may be of
interrest to the net anyway. :-)

1/ According to a friend who has an SGI machine (and X) and who is a
member of INFO-IRIS net, and also the local SGI sales rep... SGI is in
BETA test for a Motif GUI to be included in all new releases of their
OS.  This will replace the NEWS-like interface they now include as
standard.  The new Motif GUI *will* call the SGI hardware to take full
advantage of the hardware graphics and speed.

I'm so sure that this will happen that I am ordering two personal IRIS
machines for my work group (one of which will replace the VAXStation on
my desk) (Finally, some real MIPS) :-)

2/ Tell anyone interrested in 3D on an SGI to call the local sales rep.
I don't have my machine yet and already I have lots of catalogues that
list several 3D packages, PEX is available from SGI (they call it
"FIGARO" for some reason).  There is a new software catalog due in Feb.
which will list SGI software, 3rd party SW, and lots of *free* software
(ie public domain) that runs on SGI platforms.

This is not intended as an endorsment for Silicon Graphics Inc.
products, just some news to those interrested.

Daniel (Dan) F. Johnston                JOHNSTON@NRCMTC.NRC.CA
National Research Council of Canada     Tel: (613) 993-6627
Montreal Road Campus, Bldg. M-3         Fax: (613) 998-2771
Ottawa, Ont. CANADA K1A 0R6

larryc@poe.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) (12/14/90)

In article <EE277F54A05F000A82@NRCNET.NRC.CA> JOHNSTON%NRCMTC.NRC.CA@VM.NRC.CA (Dan Johnston) writes:

>2/ Tell anyone interrested in 3D on an SGI to call the local sales rep.
>I don't have my machine yet and already I have lots of catalogues that
>list several 3D packages, PEX is available from SGI (they call it
>"FIGARO" for some reason).

It's called FIGARO because it's a third-party product from Template Graphics
Software, Inc., in San Diego.  I don't know if it's really PEX (PHiGS Extension
to X).  Perhaps some TGS people on the net can enlighten us.

			Larry Carroll
			"Takes-us" (correct pronunciation of Texas)
			Dancin' Fool

bpendlet@es.com (Bob Pendleton) (12/19/90)

In article <EE277F54A05F000A82@NRCNET.NRC.CA>, JOHNSTON%NRCMTC.NRC.CA@VM.NRC.CA (Dan Johnston) writes:

|> I don't have my machine yet and already I have lots of catalogues that
|> list several 3D packages, PEX is available from SGI (they call it
|> "FIGARO" for some reason).

Ho boy... FIGARO is not PEX. FIGARO is a commercial 3rd party PHIGS
like package. PHIGS or even FIGARO in a window is not PEX. If it
doesn't work through the PEX protocol it isn't PEX.

If it's PEX you can run your PEX client on a different machine and
display it on your machine through a network connection. Just like you
can run your X clients over your network. If your FIGARO client has to
run on the same processor that your display is attached to, you aren't
running PEX.

Of course it is possible that they are using a version of FIGARO that
uses the PEX protocol to communicate with the X/PEX server. If that's
the case please let me know.

              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
   bpendlet@dsd.es.com or decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

                      X: Tools, not rules.