[comp.windows.x] decwindows applications on X11R4

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (12/18/90)

i've just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1, and the decwindows applications
won't work under X11R4.  i'm running MIT's X11R4 server, which i
compiled a while ago under ultrix 3.?  i'm pretty sure most of them
worked previously.  i never did get dxpsview to work, however.  has
anyone else had this problem?  has anyone gotten dxpsview to work
under X11R4?

btw, when is dec going to come out with a R4 server?

					- dave

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/18/90)

In article <2120@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:
|> has anyone gotten dxpsview to work under X11R4?

dxpsview requires the Display PostScript extension.  Display PostScript
is available from several sources, but not X11R4.

|> btw, when is dec going to come out with a R4 server?

What does "R4 server" mean to you?  The current DEC servers support
everything in X11R4, except for the shape extension.  They are also
generally faster than the MiT servers.  Is there something in
particular your clients require, other than shape?  If you have found
bugs that you want fixed, please report them.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

dwight@geohub.enet.dec.com (Dwight D. Moore) (12/19/90)

Carter) writes:

|>dxpsview requires the Display PostScript extension.  Display PostScript
|>is available from several sources, but not X11R4.

|>What does "R4 server" mean to you?  The current DEC servers support
|>everything in X11R4, except for the shape extension.  They are also
|>generally faster than the MiT servers.  Is there something in
|>particular your clients require, other than shape?  If you have found
|>bugs that you want fixed, please report them.
|>
|>--
|>Ken Lee
|>DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
|>Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
|>uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

Ok...when is DECWindows (ala X Windows)  going to support R4 (I mean the
libraries and include
files now, not the servers...).

---------
                                Dwight D. Moore
                         Geosciences Computing Network
                            University of Oklahoma

                  dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (129.15.40.10)
---------

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) (12/19/90)

In article <2120@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:

|> i've just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1, and the decwindows applications
|> won't work under X11R4.  i'm running MIT's X11R4 server, which i
|> compiled a while ago under ultrix 3.?  i'm pretty sure most of them
|> worked previously.  i never did get dxpsview to work, however.  has
|> anyone else had this problem?  has anyone gotten dxpsview to work
|> under X11R4?

     Dxpsview uses the Adobe Display PostScript extension to the
     DECwindows server.  MIT X11R4 does not have this.

|> btw, when is dec going to come out with a R4 server?

     As I understand it an R4 server is in the "next major release".
     The X11 libraries in 4.1 are already R4.

Mike

--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike

raman@altvax.zk3.dec.com (Rajesh Raman) (12/19/90)

|>i've just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1, and the decwindows applications
|>won't work under X11R4.

try running it with the R3 compatibility mode switch on for the server. This
could be done by "xset bc".

*                                                                              *
*  Rajesh Raman 		 VaxMail:  ASD::RAMAN                          *
*  ZKO3-2/S11   		 Internet: raman@asd.enet.dec.com              *
*  110 SpitBrook Road  		           "raman%asd.enet"@decwrl.dec.com     *
*  Nashua, NH 03062   		 UUCP:     ...!decwrl!asd.enet.dec.com!raman   *
*                                                                              *
*
*********

gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) (12/19/90)

In article <2120@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:

|> i've just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1, and the decwindows applications
|> won't work under X11R4.  i'm running MIT's X11R4 server, which i
|> compiled a while ago under ultrix 3.?

Try invoking the server with the "bc" command line argument.  Let us know if
that doesn't help.  The text of the error message from the application would
certainly help.

|>  i never did get dxpsview to work, however.

This isn't suprising.  dxpsview requires Display PostScript in the server
-- something that the MIT servers don't have.

|> btw, when is dec going to come out with a R4 server?

"Real Soon Now" is about the only answer I can give you.

-joel

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.100755@geohub.enet.dec.com>, dwight@geohub.enet.dec.com (Dwight D. Moore) writes:
|> Ok...when is DECWindows (ala X Windows)  going to support R4 (I mean the
|> libraries and include
|> files now, not the servers...).

UWS2.2, which was shipping last year, contains the X11R4 include files
and Xlib.  The Motif 1.1 layerd product contains an X11R4 Xt and widget set.

--

carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.100755@geohub.enet.dec.com> dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu writes:
)n article <1990Dec17.173555@wsl.dec.com>, klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
)|)In article <2120@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave
)Carter) writes:
)|)
)|)|) btw, when is dec going to come out with a R4 server?
)|)
)|)What does "R4 server" mean to you?  The current DEC servers support
)|)everything in X11R4, except for the shape extension.  They are also
)|)generally faster than the MiT servers.  Is there something in

i disagree, but i don't have the numbers.  (though i think i saw a
posting about this along time ago.)  i've seen both run on a
DECstation 3100 and 5000 and the vanilla X11R4 server from MIT is
*much* faster than DECWindows.

)|)particular your clients require, other than shape?  If you have found
)|)bugs that you want fixed, please report them.
)|)
)|)--
)
)------------------------------------------------------------------------
)---------

In article <1990Dec18.095945@wsl.dec.com> gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) writes:
>In article <2120@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov>, carter@ferrari.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) writes:
>|>
>|> i've just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1, and the decwindows applications
>|> won't work under X11R4.  i'm running MIT's X11R4 server, which i
>|> compiled a while ago under ultrix 3.?
>
>Try invoking the server with the "bc" command line argument.

i tried xset bc, but this didn't seem to help.  i do have the dec
fonts alias file in place.

>Let us know if that doesn't help.  The text of the error message from
>the application would certainly help.

the result of most applications (dxcalc, dxcalendar, dxcardfiler,
dxclock, dxfc, dxnotepad, dxpaint, dxpsview, dxpuzzle, dxterm, dxue,
dxvdoc) is "Segmentation fault."

however, dxdiff and dxmail both open windows and seem to work.
strange.

as i was sitting here typing this, i tried running dxterm and dxclock
from a window logged into a microvax II running VAX ultrix 4.1 with
(supposedly) the same version of UWS installed, and sure enough, they
worked!  weird.

this is all not very important anyway, since we don't need these DEC
applications.  the only one we'd like to be able to run is dxpsview,
which is impossible.

>|>  i never did get dxpsview to work, however.
>
>This isn't suprising.  dxpsview requires Display PostScript in the server
>-- something that the MIT servers don't have.

this is the answer i was expecting, though i was hoping someone had
written a similar program that would run under X11R4.  maybe under R5?
i have ghostscript, and it's nice, but not quite as good as dxpsview.