[comp.windows.x] X server for TMS340X0

paulet@terre.matra-espace.fr (Pascal PAULET 6109 FAMI2) (12/19/90)

> Does anyone know where I can get a X server which uses the
> Texas Instruments 34020 graphics functions?  I've heard
> there are some companies offering this and would like
> to get their names and phone numbers if possible.
>                                 Thanks,
>                                John Mannion (212) 713-5317

I am also interested in this kind of information. I already have a list
of some companies which I submit to the group. Any additional information
are welcome. Especially, I have a number for a company named "
Technology Corporation", but I did not have time to investigate.

Pascal.
(paulet@terre.matra-espace.fr)

---------------- Cut here --------------------------

INFORMATION ABOUT X SERVERS AND 340X0 BASED SYSTEM: LIST OF SUPPLIERS

Advanced Graphics Engineering
8765 Aero Drive, Suite 226
San Diego, CA 92123

XHIBITION source (May 90):

"AGE supplies XoftWare, its implementation of the X Window System server
software to OEMs, systems integrators, value added resellers (VARs), and
distributors. The company has strategic agreements with various OEMs
(including IBM, HP, tektronix) to develop hardware specific X servers
tailored to their specifications. AGE also markets X servers as off he
shelf solutions for workstations and PC hardware running UNIX and DOS."

Texas Instruments source (January 89):

"The X-GSP-SERVER is a full port of the MIT X11 server for the 340X0
processor family. The X-GSP-SERVER resides entirely on the 340X0-based system
allowing it to efficiently mix graphics and non-graphics functions of the
window management.
The X-GSP-SERVER interprets the raw X-protocol data stream, but it relies on
some kind of front-end processor to provide keyboard, mouse, network and
(font) file system functions. The architecture permits the X-GSP-SERVER
performance to be fairly independent of the front-end processor, which can
be a low cost device.
the X-GSP-SERVER is pixel-depth and display resolution independent, so it is
easily ported to your specific application, whether it is a general purpose
graphics board, or a dedicated system.
The MIT X11 is fast becoming a standard by which graphics workstations are
being measured. Its architecture and functionality lend itself perfectly to
the 340X0 environment. This ease of porting and natural fit makes having
an X11 server an easy requirement to meet in all 340X0 applications,
including PC-based boards and X server terminals.
The X-GSP-SERVER is available to VARs on a license basis, and source code
is available. Version 1.0 is a direct port of the V11R2 CFB DDX with some
assembly language at the bottom layer. Version 2.0 is a highly optimized
DDX, designed specifically for the 340X0 graphics instructions.This
provides performance improvements over version 1.0 from 4 to 100 times!
Version 2.0 also has added features such as font-caching and resource paging.
Hardware required: 340X0 based design, 512KB program memory."

Pittsburgh Powercomputing
1501 Reedsdale Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15233

Source XHIBITION (May 90):
"PPC was founded in June of 88 with the mission of bringing flexibility,
value and performance to the burgeoning UNIX X11 market. By understanding
both the frustrations and potential rewards of X11, PPC can aid hardware
vendors whose goal is to bring high performance graphical interfaces
to their end-users. PPC's first product, X-station/340 , is a port of
X11 to the TI34010 and TI34020 Graphics Systems Processors (GSPs)."

Artist Graphics
2675 Patton Road
St. Paul, MN 55113

Source XHIBITION (May 90):
"ARTIST X11 servers are designed to take full advantage of all features
inherent to the Texas Instruments 34010 and 34020 GSPs. Because the ARTIST
X server is implemented directly on the GSP, all graphics capability, as
well as X display overhead are moved to the ARTIST graphic controller."

IMAGRAPH
11 Elizabeth Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
Tel: (508) 256-4624 Fax: (508) 250-9155
Telex: 4946300 IMAGRAF

TMS34020 Graphics engine and X server port through TIGA.

Human Designed Systems, Inc.
421 E. Feheley Drive
King of Prussia, PA 19406

Manufacturer of X terminal with 34010 and Intel 80186.

Graphic Sofware Systems, Inc.
9590 SW Gemini Drive
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503) 641-2200
Dan Fineberg, Director of marketing.

PC X terminal package incl. port of X server on 340X0 systems with DGIS
interface.

Visual Technology
120 Flanders road
Westboro, MA 01581
jbk@visual.uu.net
U.S. Phone: 508-836-4400
Jeff Krampf

Source xpert mailing list (Dec 90):

"   We at Visual Technology are an X terminal manufacturer.  Our line of
color X terminals utilize TI's 34020 graphics processor.  We program the
processor using a mix of C and assembly calls, but do not use the TIGA
libraries.  I could send you information if you wish...

   Keep in touch.

Jeff"

Princeton Graphics Systems
1100 Northmeadow Parkway, Suite 150
Roswell, GA30076

Manufacturer of X terminal with TI34010.

Digital Equipment Corporation
System Software Group
110 Spit Brook Road
Nashua, New Hampshire 03062

Manufacturer of X terminal with TI34010.

Hewlett-Packard
3000 Hanover Street
Palo Alto, CA 94304

Manufacturer of X terminal with TI34010.

Technology Corporation
617-272-91-24

To be investigated.

INFRATRONIC

To be investigated.

Tektronix, Inc.
P.O Box 1000
Wilsonville, OR97070-1000

Manufacturer of X terminal with TI34010 (and TI34020).

Megatek
9645 Scranton Road
San Diego, CA 92121

To be investigated.