[net.news] Zero length articles

ladm@kitc.UUCP (John Burgess - Local tools ADM) (08/22/85)

We're running 2.10.2 news, and recently I've notices lots
of article files with NOTHING IN THEM.  That's right, 0 byte files!

I recently installed the 'move Orphaned Responses articles to junk'
patch to rnews.  I suspect that this is the culprit?
Has anyone else seen this problem?
Got a fix for it?

If not, how about some tips on what might be going wrong,
and where I should look to fix it.

Thanks,
	John Burgess
--
John Burgess - Local Tools Administrator
ATT-IS Labs, So. Plainfield NJ  (HP 1C-221)

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (08/26/85)

In article <170@kitc.UUCP> ladm@kitc.UUCP (John Burgess) writes:
>We're running 2.10.2 news, and recently I've notices lots
>of article files with NOTHING IN THEM.  That's right, 0 byte files!
>Got a fix for it?

I have seen it several times.  It is usually due to running out of
space on your news filesystem.  It's apparently a condition that's
not detected -- although I'm not sure what could be done to recover,
it would be nice to try and detect such things and not leave garbage
that confuses news readers and expire.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (08/30/85)

In article <270@ncr-sd.UUCP> greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) writes:
>In article <170@kitc.UUCP> ladm@kitc.UUCP (John Burgess) writes:
>>We're running 2.10.2 news, and recently I've notices lots
>>of article files with NOTHING IN THEM.  That's right, 0 byte files!
>>Got a fix for it?
>
>I have seen it several times.  It is usually due to running out of
>space on your news filesystem.  It's apparently a condition that's
>not detected... - Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo

YES! This just happened to us (spool fs was full).
WORSE - the history file in /usr/lib/news seems to get corrupted
(or just plain wrong) when this happens, so expire doesn't expire things
correctly! After a week of running 98% full and selectively deleting news
we don't read, I finally started looking around and did an "expire -r"
which ran 2 hours. The next morning, after expire ran normally,
we were only at 75% full, our normal situation.

--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"She said you know how to spell AUDACIOUSLY? I could tell I was in love...
You want to go to heaven? or would you rather not be saved?" - Lloyd Coal