[net.news] Why digests are GOOD!

boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) (09/04/85)

..     ..     ..     ..     ..

	I think that digested news groups are a veary effective format for
some types of news groups.  fa.telecom is a good example.  I don't read it
on-line.  I just send it to the printer, read it at my desk, and file it for
future reference.  Printing 1 digest is preferable to print 20 individual
articles.

On arpanet, the newsgroup net.micro.pc in digested as it crosses from USENET
land to ARPA land.  I print out each digest and circulate it within the
department/building.  There are many neophyte computer users that benefit from
the pass-along digets.

Digested news groups have a place in this world.  Not all groups would benefit
from being digested.

Killing digests would be like killing a whale --- senseless!

gab

--

              #=====#
               !   !

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (09/04/85)

In article <5524@fortune.UUCP> boozer@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Boozer) writes:
>  I just send it to the printer, read it at my desk, and file it for
>future reference.
>  I print out each digest and circulate it within the
>department/building.  There are many neophyte computer users that benefit from
>the pass-along digets.

Can't you write a tiny piece of software to "digest" each day's messages and
print it out?  It's easy.  Trust me.

Sys file:

	pcdigest:net.micro.pc:F:/usr/spool/outnews/pcdigest

Then a shell file:

	#! /bin/sh
	# pcdigest.sh -- grab articles from net.micro.pc and digest them
	cat </dev/null >/tmp/digest$$
	for file in `cat /usr/spool/outnews/pcdigest`
	do
		( cat $file ; echo ; echo ----------- ) >>/tmp/digest$$
	done
	lpr /tmp/digest$$

Which, I admit is rather crude as I just thought of it, but the basic
idea is there.  Similar things can be done if you're on arpa and
receive net.micro.pc as info-pc, make your local info-pc address
be an alias to a program.

You're denying us the full use of rn for those newsgroups.
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA

Hackin's in me blood.  My mother was known as Miss Hacker before she married!

control@almsa-1 (William Martin) (09/05/85)

Just another vote to support what the original poster said. I, too, like
digests. I print a lot of them, circulating them to various other people
or shipping them on paper to various non-computer-equipped people.

The digest format has been around since the mid-to-late '70s in ARPA
environments. It has been proven to work well in that electronic-mail-
oriented environment. Maybe the news-oriented environment of USENET
differs enough to counteract this experience, but I doubt it. "YES!"
to digests!

Will