[comp.windows.x] postscript viewer

groenewo@fwi.uva.nl (Ferry van het Groenewoud) (12/18/90)

Does anyone know where I can ftp a public domain Postscript viewer?
Does such a thing actually exist?

Ferry.

groenewo@fwi.uva.nl (Ferry van het Groenewoud) (12/19/90)

I now know that I should get ghostscript from prep.ai.mit.edu or some
other addresses. Thanks to all that responded!

Ferry.

dedwards@osprey.oracle.com (Dave Edwards) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.110425.12071@fwi.uva.nl>, groenewo@fwi.uva.nl
(Ferry van het Groenewoud) writes:
|> Does anyone know where I can ftp a public domain Postscript viewer?
|> Does such a thing actually exist?

Ghostscript 2.0 is our best bet. Ghostscript is a postscript interpreter that
runs under X11 - Ghostscript comes from the Free Software Foundation (gnu) so
it is of a high standard.

I do not know where you can ftp it from, I am sure somebody else will know.

Dave

juices@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael A Guttman) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.112854.15314@oracle.com> ricks@berkeley.edu writes:

>In article <1990Dec18.110425.12071@fwi.uva.nl>, groenewo@fwi.uva.nl
>(Ferry van het Groenewoud) writes:
>|> Does anyone know where I can ftp a public domain Postscript viewer?
>|> Does such a thing actually exist?
>|>

>Ghostscript 2.0 is our best bet. Ghostscript is a postscript interpreter that
>runs under X11 - Ghostscript comes from the Free Software Foundation (gnu) so
>it is of a high standard.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think they've produced some kludgy stuff
                          along with some good packages.

>I do not know where you can ftp it from, I am sure somebody else will know.
>
>Dave

I installed ghostscript 2.0 on our IBM-RS/6000 and I'm not very
impressed with it.  All it does is display the page in one size (no
zoom) and wait for you to hit <CR> to advance to the next page.
No bells, no whistles.

I know I'm spoiled on Pageview which runs on our Sun's with
Openwindows.  This is much nicer.

You can get ghostscript from prep.ai.mit.edu.

Mike