[net.news] Wanted: fixes for ARPA site news-header-munging software

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (09/06/85)

Folks at an ARPA site seem to be having problems with their system's news
software--in particular, its habit of munging news article headers.
If I understand aright, this may be an example of the problem:
whereas from my system I'd be able to mail a response to this article. . .

>	From: ROWE@SANDIA-CAD.ARPA (John Rowe)
>	Newsgroups: net.unix
>	Subject: PIC
>	Date: 4 Sep 85 21:02:50 GMT
>	Sender: news@brl-tgr.ARPA
>
>	DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET 'PIC', A PROGRAM TO INCLUDE
>	GRAPHICS WITHIN TEXT? IS THIS A UNIX UTILITY? DOES IT BEAR ANY
>	RELATIONSHIP TO TROFF? I'M USING AN IMAGEN LASERPRINTER FOR OUTPUT.
>	-------

. . .the "Path" and "From" line have evidently been munged in the article
as stored at brl-tgr, so that folks there are forced to post replies
(see <1231@brl-tgr.ARPA>) rather than mailing replies to the original poster.

If anyone at other ARPA sites knows of workarounds for the problem,
posting them would be a public service.
--
UNIX is an AT&T Bell Laboratories trademark.
News-header-munging is an ARPA trademark.

fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) (09/07/85)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the header on the article in
question. The key is that brl-tgr is prepared to recognize
`tgr!user@host' and do the right thing with it, and my understanding is
that they do.

	keeper of another gateway,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU