[comp.windows.x] Would like twm to ``remember'' changed icon positions ...

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (12/27/90)

  Currently twm (X11R4/PL18) ``remembers'' the positions and icon states
of windows and the original icon locations from one invocation of twm to
the next.  That is, if I exit twm and then start a new instance of twm,
the new screen will look mostly like the original screen ...

  Except, any icon positions that were changed via twm's "f.move" won't
have been saved (I'm running with NoIconManagers set.)  Applications
whose icon positions were specified via ``-xrm "*iconGeometry:..."'' will
have their icons repositioned back at the originally specified locations
and all other applications will have their icons positioned in the upper
left corner.  All other state from the original screen seems to be saved
across twm invocations.

  I've looked through the twm source to try to see where it saves new
window positions to see if there was a simple hack preventing twm from
doing the same thing for icon positions.  But I haven't found anything
obvious.  Since I don't program X and don't even know if my desired
behavior is ICCCM compliant, there's not much use in my proceeding on my
own.  Would anyone care to comment on either the feasibility or ICCCM
compliance of twm saving icon position state across invocations?

Casey

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (12/27/90)

In article <88348@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom)
writes:
>   Currently twm (X11R4/PL18) ``remembers'' the positions

It does not remembers anythings, since the windows stay on screen at their
positions...

> and icon states

Their status Normal/Iconic/Withdrawn is saved on property WM_STATE on the
window (ICCCM)

>   I've looked through the twm source to try to see where it saves new
> window positions to see if there was a simple hack preventing twm from
> doing the same thing for icon positions.  But I haven't found anything
> obvious.  Since I don't program X and don't even know if my desired
> behavior is ICCCM compliant, there's not much use in my proceeding on my
> own.  Would anyone care to comment on either the feasibility or ICCCM
> compliance of twm saving icon position state across invocations?

It's feasable... Just use a twm-specific property like WM_STATE...
But not within the scope of ICCCM as it is.
However, it would not violate ICCCM, since this functionality doesnt (yet?)
exist in ICCCM...

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66