[comp.windows.x] Screen size for DECterm...

smith@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu (12/29/90)

I hope this is the right list for this question.

We recently got eXodus, an X-windows program for the Mac.  It really seems to
work well!

The problem is that a DECterm screen exceeds the size of the 13" monitor of
the Mac: there is about 4 colums-worth which is off the RHS of the screen.

I would like a to get a fat Mac monitor, solving the problem.  In the
meantime, is there a way to get DECterm to make a smaller bitmap screen?
There is no way to do this on the eXodus side, so I assume there must be a
way on the VAX  side.

We have a VAX 6410, VMS 5.3-1.

|Ross Smith, Cell Biology,  NYU Medical Center,  550 First Ave.,  NYC, 10016|
|Phone: (212) 340-5356: FAX: (212) 340-8139 (Alternate NYUMC) (212) 340-7190|
|E-Mail:  SMITH@NYUMED.BITNET (BITNET),  SMITH@MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU (Internet)|

smith@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec29.113800.6972@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu>, smith@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu writes:
> We recently got eXodus, an X-windows program for the Mac.  It really seems to
> work well!
>
> The problem is that a DECterm screen exceeds the size of the 13" monitor of
> the Mac: there is about 4 colums-worth which is off the RHS of the screen.

Thanks to those who replied.  The 'solution' was to select the condensed font
from the 'Customize/Window' menu.  This nicely solves the problem.  However,
it creates another in that the eXodus server does not yet support all the
fonts that DEC requests.  WhitePine expects to have these by next release of
the software.