[comp.windows.x] ???? Which UIMS to use ????

ssa@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu (Shahrooz A Alavi) (11/21/90)

	Does anyone have any experience using any of the following
	UIMS products?

	- UIMX
	- TeleUse
	- ezX
	- Builder Xcessory
	- HP OpenDialogue

	Any other ones?  I am trying to compile a list of advantages/
	disadvantages of each.  Can anyone point me to an article
	about any of them, specially a comparison?

	Thanks
	S. Alavi    (919) 467-7909          ssa@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.213313.15494@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ssa@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu (S Alavi) writes:
>	Does anyone have any experience using any of the following
>	UIMS products?
	^^^^

I cannot comment on any of the products you mentioned, but I do have one
thing to say:

Most of the products you mention are not UIMS's (user interface managemnt
systems). With the exception of HP/Apollo's OpenDialog, most are just
interactive "User Interface Development Tools" or "direct manipulation
builders."

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov20.213313.15494@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ssa@eceugs.ece.ncsu.edu (S Alavi) writes:

>	[ list of UIMS's deleted]
>	Any other ones?  I am trying to compile a list of advantages/
>	disadvantages of each.  Can anyone point me to an article
>	about any of them, specially a comparison?

A recent article is:

	Deborah Mix: Generations of User-Interface Management Systems
	IEEE Software, Sept. 1990

It contains a reasonably good overview of UIMS systems.  Its more an
introduction to UIMS tools than a technical comparison of each.  Some
technical details may be inaccurate, but that's of minor importance, I
think. An interesting touch is the division for UIMS into 1st, 2nd,
3rd and 4th generation systems. Don't take it too seriously.

There was a comparison between TeleUSE and UIMX as 'the 2 best UIMS
(User Interface Management) tools', based on the poster's research in
april to comp.windows.x.  Although it may reflect the state of affairs
at that time (big grin ;-), it should probably not be taken as an
indication of the current state of the art - things happen all the
time.

Hope this is of any help,

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

dex@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dex Smith) (11/28/90)

I can offer some input on HP Interface Architect, which is the HP version of
UIMX.  Here's a list of features:

 * True WYSIWYG layout.

     Widgets can be interactive created, moved, and resized with the mouse.

 * Full support for the entire OSF/Motif 1.0 widget set.

     Includes support for every widget and every resource.  Special forms,
     such as the Menu Editor, simplify complicated development tasks.

 * Built-In C Interpreter.

     The interpreter allows seamless integration of user interface and
     application functions during development.	You can immediately test
     the behavior of your whole application (not just the user interface).

 * Convenience library (optional).

     A complete library of convenience functions is provided to simplify
     interactions with the Xt Intrinsics and the OSF/Motif widgets.  Use of
     the convenience library is optional.  For porting applications to other
     platforms, the source code for the convenience library is available as
     a separate product.

 * C code generation.

     Code generated by Architect includes calls to its convenience library.
     However, you can generate portable Xt/Xm code using HP's Motif Code
     Generator (MotifGen).

 * No run-time licensing requirements for applications built with HP Architect.

 * Online help (accessed via the HP VUE Help Manager), including:

       * Task reference.

       * Technical reference.

 * HP quality documentation:

       * Quick Start -- 40-page hands-on tutorial.

       * Developer's Guide -- 350-page, three-part guide, including:

           * Using HP Architect.
           * HP Architect Concepts and Techniques.
           * HP Architect Reference.

HP Interface Architect is currently available on HP 9000 Series 300, 400, and
800 workstations.

- Dex Smith, Learning Products Developer
  Interface Technology Operation
  Hewlett-Packard Company
  Corvallis, Oregon  USA

  dex@hpcvlx.hp.com

In article <100920256@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> dex@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dex Smith) writes:
> * Full support for the entire OSF/Motif 1.0 widget set.

What if I need to use a non-Motif widget as well (e.g. Table)?

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

gz4@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/19/90)

dex@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dex Smith) (12/22/90)

>  What if I need to use a non-Motif widget as well (e.g. Table)?

HP Architect 1.0 does not let you add to its palette of widgets.  However,
since it has a complete built-in C interpreter, *any* C code can be used
during development, including custom widget code or additional libraries.

You can load code directly into the interpreter, or you can create a
custom version of Architect with your code built-in.  To create a custom
version, you simply compile your code right into Architect.  All of the
needed files are provided:  "architect.o," "main.c," and "Makefile."
If the additional widget that you want to use is in a library, you
simply relink Architect with that library, registering the functions
that you intend to use.

The "HP Interface Architect Developer's Guide" provides a step-by-step
procedure for adding additional widgets.

- Dex Smith

  P.S.  Have you seen the "UNIX World" top-ten products of 1990?  UIM/X
        is one of them!  HP Interface Architect is HP's trade name for
        the UIM/X product developed in partnership with Visual Edge
        Software.  HP has added this value to the Architect version:

          * Portable Motif code generation utility.
          * Online help (provided via the HP VUE Help Manager).
          * HP-written, high-quality documentation.
          * HP support services.

In article <100920265@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> dex@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dex Smith) writes:
>>  What if I need to use a non-Motif widget as well (e.g. Table)?
>
>HP Architect 1.0 does not let you add to its palette of widgets.  However,
>since it has a complete built-in C interpreter, *any* C code can be used
>during development, including custom widget code or additional libraries.
Any?  K&R or ANSI?  What about platform local extensions?  E.g. alignment
directives on HP/Apollo workstations.  In any case, I'm using C++, so....

>The "HP Interface Architect Developer's Guide" provides a step-by-step
>procedure for adding additional widgets.
But by "adding" you just mean I can use them in my code, right?  Above
you say they can't be in the palette.

>          * Portable Motif code generation utility.
What exactly is this?

>          * Online help (provided via the HP VUE Help Manager).
Does that mean you have to run HP VUE to use it?  What are the memory
requirements?

					-kee
--

dex@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dex Smith) (01/03/91)

> > The "HP Interface Architect Developer's Guide" provides a step-by-step
> > procedure for adding additional widgets.
> But by "adding" you just mean I can use them in my code, right?  Above
> you say they can't be in the palette.

You can link you own code into Architect (creating a new binary).  This makes
your code (which could be custom widgets, application-specific functions,
etc.) directly available to the built-in interpreter.  For example, suppose
you wrote a custom Foo widget.  You would probably have these three files:

                      Foo.c     Foo.h    FooP.h

Also, suppose within this code you also established a convenience
function called MyCreateFoo() for creating an instance of your Foo widget.
After creating a new "architect" binary by compiling and linking in your
Foo source code, you could interactively create an interface using the
standard Motif widgets, then add instances of your Foo widget using
direct calls to the interpreter.

> >          * Portable Motif code generation utility.
> What exactly is this?

It's a tool that generates C source code using Architect interface files
(or interface files from any UIMX 1.0 Motif-based product).  Interface
files are the intermediate storage format for user interfaces developed
with Architect.

Rationale:
  C source code generated directly from Architect (or any other vendor's
  version of UIMX) contains calls to the Ux convenience library.  This means
  that this additional library must be available on the platform where you
  want to compile.  (The source code to this library is available as a
  separate product form Hewlett-Packard.)

  If you want to avoid this library, you can use HP's Motif Code Generator
  utility (MotifGen) to convert Architect interface files into source code
  that contains only standard C, X, Xt, and Xm calls.

> >          * Online help (provided via the HP VUE Help Manager).
> Does that mean you have to run HP VUE to use it?  What are the memory
> requirements?

The help manager is a part of HP VUE -- you can use only portions of
VUE (such as the help manager) if you wish.  The memory requirements for
the help manager should be about the same for any single Motif application.
If you plan to run the entire HP Visual User Environment, things are
pretty snappy on a 16MB Series 350.  If you have less than 12MB, things
tend to slow down due to swapping.

- Dex Smith