[comp.windows.x] Seven-fingered hands

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (12/12/90)

raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling) writes:
>	In fact, sometimes I even wish for a 5-button mouse --
>	and X is ready for it, even if "normal" clients aren't.

Can't wait to grow those two extra fingers to hold the mouse itself!

;-> ;-> ;->

But seriously folks, is there actually a five-button mouse on sale or
being developed?  I supposed I could strap the mouse on my palm, but
it'll be impossible to touch type.

Frivolously yours,

---------
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

cameron@usage.csd.oz (Cameron Simpson) (12/14/90)

From article <2536@trlluna.trl.oz>, by soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh):
| raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling) writes:
|>	In fact, sometimes I even wish for a 5-button mouse --
|>	and X is ready for it, even if "normal" clients aren't.
|
| Can't wait to grow those two extra fingers to hold the mouse itself!
|
| ;-> ;-> ;->
|
| But seriously folks, is there actually a five-button mouse on sale or
| being developed?  I supposed I could strap the mouse on my palm, but
| it'll be impossible to touch type.

One of the daftest things I ever saw was an add in Byte for an, um, `mouse'
with something like 42 buttons on in, called Power Mouse or something.
Truly frightening. I wonder if they sold any?
	- Cameron Simpson
	  cameron@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au

rjc@uk.ac.ed.cstr (Richard Caley) (12/15/90)

In article <2536@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:

    raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling) writes:
    >	In fact, sometimes I even wish for a 5-button mouse --
    >	and X is ready for it, even if "normal" clients aren't.

    Can't wait to grow those two extra fingers to hold the mouse itself!

I don't know about 5, but a shift key on the side to work as Meta
would be nice.

Actually I wouldn't mind my keyboard on a ball, so that I can move
around without taking my hands off the keyboard.

--
rjc@uk.ac.ed.cstr	If Apple did the user interface to a cooker it
			would have only one knob, but it would control

matthieu@laas.fr (Matthieu Herrb) (12/16/90)

In article <996@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> cameron@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au (Cameron Simpson) writes:

>One of the daftest things I ever saw was an add in Byte for an, um, `mouse'
>with something like 42 buttons on in, called Power Mouse or something.

Just put a ball or an optical device under your keyboard, and move the
keyboard to move the pointer !!!

--
\  /  | Matthieu Herrb             CNRS - LAAS
|\/|--| matthieu@laas.fr           7, avenue du Colonel Roche
|  |  |                            31077 Toulouse Cedex - France
"If You're not Part of the Solution, You're Part of the Problem..."

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (12/19/90)

>>	In fact, sometimes I even wish for a 5-button mouse

> Can't wait to grow those two extra fingers to hold the mouse itself!

Goodness, you don't need that.  I can use a three-button mouse quite
effectively with only two fingers used for pressing buttons.  Even just
one finger if I have to (if the other two "obvious" fingers have pizza
on them, for example :-).

> But seriously folks, is there actually a five-button mouse on sale or
> being developed?  I supposed I could strap the mouse on my palm, but
> it'll be impossible to touch type.

:-)  Take a current mouse - the three-button Sun mouse on my desk as I
type this, for example.  Now shrink the buttons until the spaces
between them are as wide as the buttons are (this doesn't need much
shrinking for the mouse on my desk).  Now put buttons in those spaces.

To put it another way, you don't need 26 fingers to type the whole
alphabet on a normal letter keyboard :-)

I'd buy one, given assurance that the software I have can deal with it
(either directly or with simple patches).

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/20/90)

I have long yearned for a set of foot pedals, probably purloined from
a Dictograph.  One each for Control, Meta, and Shift.  With heel-toe
braking techniques, two feet could probably manage several more than
just three modifier bits.  And with one of those forehead-mounted
pointer controls, my hands would really never need to leave home row.

Hmm, I wonder if the rheostat in a a sewing machine speed control
pedal could serve as a dial input?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/21/90)

From article <BOB.90Dec20090300@volitans.MorningStar.Com>, by bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield):
> I have long yearned for a set of foot pedals, probably purloined from
> a Dictograph.  One each for Control, Meta, and Shift.

Why stop there?  How about the foot keyboard from an organ? :-)
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

young@ssiwest.UUCP (indi) (01/03/91)

>Why stop there?  How about the foot keyboard from an organ? :-)

	...or how about a dish-shaped keyboard for one-handed use,
	leaving the other hand free for the three-key mouse?  Control,
	shift, and meta would be key combos on the mouse...

	indi (Cathy Young)            Supercomputer Systems, Inc
	uunet!ssi!young           2021 Las Positas Court, Suite 101
	(415)373-8044                   Livermore, CA  94550

	Just spotted on the back of a van:
	It will be a great day when our schools have all the money
	they need and the air force has to hold a bake sale to buy
	a new bomber.