[comp.windows.x] Can an R4 client bomb an R3 server ??

EYRING@cc.utah.edu (12/25/90)

Could X11R4 client calls to a X11R3 server cause the server to bomb,
especially the memory manager.  I get bad atoms every once and a while
but it still runs.  Then after an hour or so, KA-BOOM, down goes the
server.  Our server code, HP, is only shipping R3 now, R4 next spring,
the client is OpenWindows 2.0 on a Sun, ala olwm.  Any ideas?

maslen@eng.sun.com (Thomas Maslen) (01/02/91)

EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:
>especially the memory manager.  I get bad atoms every once and a while
>but it still runs.  Then after an hour or so, KA-BOOM, down goes the
>server.

Check for XA_FISSIONABLE atoms.

Do I really have to put an Internet standard smiley on this?

Thomas Maslen
maslen@eng.sun.com

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/03/91)

In article <104768@cc.utah.edu>, EYRING@cc.utah.edu writes:
|> Could X11R4 client calls to a X11R3 server cause the server to bomb,
|> especially the memory manager.

The X server should not crash because of any X protcol requests,
whether or not the client supports the same revision of the protocol.
Any such server crashes are bugs in your server.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (01/03/91)

Let's put it in a simpler fashion...

The X server should NEVER crash, no matter what...

This includes stupid stunts like sending random
streams of random bytes over an X server connection, etc.

I'll say it again:  the X server crashing is ALWAYS
a bug, and a serious one at that...  It is equivalent to
your operating system crashing...
			- Jim