[comp.windows.x] X Conference

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (10/04/87)

Announcing plans for the Second Annual X Window System Conference!
(X-II should not be confused with X-11. :-)

The tentative date is January 14-15, 1988 (the intention is to devote
two full days this time).  The place is MIT, in Cambridge, MA.  The
price will hopefully be "free".

This is to be an educational, technically-oriented conference; it is not
for hyping commercial products.  The focus will be V11 and beyond.

The idea is to have both talks and BOFS (birds of a feather sessions).
Whether there will be concurrent sessions, etc. will depend on how many
speakers we get and how many BOFS get organized.

Exactly how speakers will be selected, whether written "papers" will be
required, and whether "proceedings" will be published, is still somewhat
open.  The desire is to keep this rather informal, but high in quality.

If you would like to give a talk, contact me before Nov. 20; this is not
an absolute cutoff, but your chances will diminish after that.  I would
like to know who you are, what you do, what the talk will be about in
reasonable detail, how long you think you need and what you live with,
your A/V needs, and whether you will provide a paper or other written
materials (and their length) for possible inclusion in a proceedings.
Any written materials provided before Nov. 20 will certainly help the
selection process.

If you would like to be a member of the "Program Committee" for
selecting talks and BOFS, etc., please contact me before Nov. 1.

If you would like to organize a BOF, send me details.  If there are
particular talks or BOFS you would like to see happen, send me details.

	Bob Scheifler
	Laboratory for Computer Science
	545 Technology Square
	Cambridge, MA 02139

	617-253-0628
	rws@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (12/01/87)

Announcing the Second Annual X Window System Conference!

The date is January 14-15, 1988, with tutorials on the 13th.  The place
is MIT, in Cambridge, MA.  The price is right (free).  Meals will not be
provided.  Parking will be limited.  The conference will likely run from
8:30am to 5:30pm the first day, and 9:00am to 5:00pm the second day.
Details of exact location, etc., will be available later.

Likely talks:

	Xtk toolkit
	BE2 toolkit
	validation suites
	how clients should cope with window managers
	Siemens RTL Tiled Window Manager
	X3D-PEX extension
	extension mechanisms
	X on a high performance workstation
	X/NeWS merge

Possible Birds of a Feather sessions (BOFs):

	X and Lisp
	X and Ada
	X servers on diskless terminals
	Xtk toolkit
	BE2 toolkit
	window managers
	documentation
	european and internationalization concerns
	computer conferencing
	server implementors
	video
	3D
	image processing
	testing and validation

Tutorials (held on the 13th):

	Programming with X11
	Xtk toolkit

To register for the conference, send mail to

	xconference@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu

or as a last resort (*please* use the net if at all possible)

	Bob Scheifler
	Laboratory for Computer Science
	545 Technology Square
	Cambridge, MA 02139

You *must* include, for *each* person, the name of the person, the name
of the organization s/he works for, a postal address and phone number,
and a list of the BOFs s/he would like to attend (ranked by
desirability).  Interest in attending specific tutorials, if any, must
also be indicated.

Requests without this information, or sent to the wrong address, have a
high probability of being completely ignored.  Registration by network
mail will be acknowledged, receipt by post will not be acknowledged
(although location information will be sent out later).  Registration
will be on a first-come-first-serve basis; if we cannot accommodate you,
you will be informed as soon as possible.

The conference talks and tutorials will be videotaped, and copies will
be available for purchase at a later date.

yduJ@lucid.com (Judy Anderson) (01/25/89)

Having a great time at the conference!  You guys put an a good show.

One minor nit, however...  One thing I like to do at conferences is
wander around looking at everyone's namebadge to see if they're
someone I know electronically so I can introduce myself.  But no
namebadges makes this awkward.  The only way to really make a personal
contact is to either barge up to everyone in sight introducing
yourself, which is awkward, or wait until a BOF session (which is what
I did, but it meant I was bored during the breaks...)  Next year how
about some quickly run off namebadges and some safety pins?

					yduJ (Judy Anderson)
					Lucid, Inc.
					yduJ@lucid.com
					edsel!yduJ@labrea.stanford.edu
					...!sun!edsel!yduJ
					(617)784-6114

converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) (01/26/89)

> Having a great time at the conference!  You guys put an a good show.

The thanks are due to Bob Scheifler, whose attention to detail
is remarkable, along with his ability to get up early in the morning.

> Next year how
> about some quickly run off namebadges and some safety pins?

That's a good idea, except the X Consortium staff doesn't have the
resources, especially time, to do this.  Maybe next year we could
supply blank badges, and folks could write in their own names.

Donna Converse

kek@DINORAH.WUSTL.EDU (Ken Krippner) (01/26/89)

Regarding the requests for name tags:

Consistant with the mechanism/policy stance, I would assume that the
application/confirmation mail would be in a format that, if printed and
cut along dotted lines, could be pinned on by all attendees with their
own pin.

We already can't believe how complete the arrangements are (video
projectors not withstanding) and would hesitate to add additional
stress for name tags.

Thanks again you guys/gals!

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/27/89)

    From: Donna Converse <converse@expo.lcs.mit.edu>
    The thanks are due to Bob Scheifler ...

Donna's just being modest, she and Michelle Leger did the lion's
share of the work for this conference.

We welcome comments, criticisms, suggestions on the X Conference.
Please send them to xconference@expo.lcs.mit.edu, but feel free
to send them to xpert/comp.windows.x as well.

Michaels@MCC.COM (Wilson M. Michaels) (01/28/89)

    Date: 25 Jan 89 05:02:43 GMT
    From: Judy Anderson <fernwood!edsel!yduJ@decwrl.dec.com>

    Having a great time at the conference!  You guys put an a good show.

    One minor nit, however...  [...]    Next year how
    about some quickly run off namebadges and some safety pins?

I would like to make a suggestion concerning name badges.  Why not
request that attendees wear their company name badges (if they have
one).  Those that don't have company name badges probably have one left
over from some other conference that they could use.  I like the simple
email registration for the conference.   Check in was even better... if
you were there you were registered.  No lines, no hassle.

The conference provided a good look at work in progress and was very
well done.  I prefer coffee at the coffee breaks instead of name badges
thank you.

  -- Wilson M. Michaels

kane@XENURUS.GOULD.COM (Patrick E Kane) (01/28/89)

The X conf.  was very good, reminded me of the first
few Unix conf. last decade...

Instead of name tags people should bring personalized T-shirts.

Pat Kane
Motorola, Inc
Urbana, IL

dwm@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Meeks) (01/31/89)

In article <1780@edsel>, yduJ@lucid.com (Judy Anderson) writes:
> I did, but it meant I was bored during the breaks...)  Next year how
> about some quickly run off namebadges and some safety pins?
-----

I nominate Judy for namebadge person at the next Tech Conference. We can
all send her our logins, names, etc. and she can create a program to generate
the namebadges. I'll supply the safety pins if someone else can supply the
tape to stick them to the back of the badge.

cheers, --dwm

yduJ@lucid.com (Judy Anderson) (02/02/89)

In article <7523@ihlpf.ATT.COM> dwm@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Meeks) writes:
>I nominate Judy for namebadge person at the next Tech Conference. We can
>all send her our logins, names, etc. and she can create a program to generate
>the namebadges. I'll supply the safety pins if someone else can supply the
>tape to stick them to the back of the badge.

OK.  *IF* I am still working with X and planning to attend the
conference, *THEN* I'll volunteer for this.  I even already have a
nifty TeX program that takes names and produces namebadges; minor
alterations to the macro would allow company names etc. to be
included.  (This program was created for a square dance group I was in
charge of.)  So then all I'd need is access to a papercutter, which
isn't very hard to get.

If someone wanted to be really high tech and actually spend a little
money on this they could buy those little plastic holders; my program
produces badges for 3 1/4" x 2" holders.  They cost a quarter each.

Naturally if I'm not going to the conference I'm not interested in
volunteering to do this; I can't predict this now so you should ask me
again in November...  (Probably I'll remember I've volunteered to do
this and will speak up if my plans include the conference.)

					yduJ (Judy Anderson)
					Lucid, Inc.
					yduJ@lucid.com
					edsel!yduJ@labrea.stanford.edu
					...!sun!edsel!yduJ
					(617)784-6114

thsrem@tumuc.UUCP (Thomas Schneider) (02/06/89)

What about sending the badges with the registration acknowledgement:
1. everybody brings his/her own safety pin
2. no person required at a conference booth to hand out badges

Thomas Schneider
UUCP: ...!uunet!unido!tumuc!ths

lsc%chryse@Sun.COM (Lisa S Chabot) (02/09/89)

In article <486@tumuc.UUCP> thsrem@tumuc.UUCP (Thomas Schneider) writes:
>What about sending the badges with the registration acknowledgement:
>1. everybody brings his/her own safety pin
>2. no person required at a conference booth to hand out badges

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this equivalent to sitting at
your desk, armed with your favorite text processing equipment
(e.g., pen, scissors, and paper; or vi, xterm, and laser printer)
and writing your own name?  Actually, my scheme even eliminates two
common problems: accuracy and the delay inherent in waiting for a
round-trip between your desk and the MIT X-Conference-name-badge
server.

All power corrupts, but we need electricity.

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (02/10/89)

In article <486@tumuc.UUCP> thsrem@tumuc.UUCP (Thomas Schneider) writes:
>What about sending the badges with the registration acknowledgement:
>1. everybody brings his/her own safety pin
>2. no person required at a conference booth to hand out badges

An idea that disappeared all too quietly for me was the one
of people bringing their work badges, or just making them up on
site from paper stock or "Hello, I'm a Frog" stick-ons. I like
the informal atmosphere, the no-muss, no-fuss online registration,
and the fact that we are not having to pay for niceties of dubious
necessity, such as badges.

-Miles

yduJ@lucid.com (Judy Anderson) (02/10/89)

In article <88986@sun.uucp> lsc@sun.UUCP (Lisa S Chabot) writes:
> [...synopsis:  why don't we use a pen and paper at home...]

But X is about *standards* and using a pen and paper (or even TeX and
a laser printer) at home will produce *non-standard* badges.  We can't
have that...
					yduJ (Judy Anderson)
					Lucid, Inc.
					yduJ@lucid.com
					edsel!yduJ@labrea.stanford.edu
					...!sun!edsel!yduJ
					(617)784-6114

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/21/89)

		      4th Annual X Technical Conference
			   Boston, Massachusetts
			    15-17 January 1990

Enclosed is information on tutorials, talks, BOFs, and registration.

ADVANCE REGISTRATION
We recommend you register early as seating is limited.  Advance registration
must be postmarked by 6 January 1990.  Tutorial Session assignments are made
on a first-come, first-served basis.  Return the registration form and payment
to the:

    		    M.I.T. Conference Services Office
		   Room 7-111, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
			   Cambridge, MA 02139
	         (Telefax: 617/258-8762; Telex: 92-1473;
		        Telephone: 617/253-1703).

The Program Committee this year consisted of:
    Doug Blewett, AT&T Bell Laboratories
    Nathaniel Borenstein, Bell Communications Research
    Bruce Cameron, Mayo Foundation
    Donna Converse, MIT X Consortium
    Jim Fulton, MIT X Consortium
    Christian Jacobi, Xerox PARC
    Scott McGregor, Digital Equipment Corp.
    Al McPherson, Boeing Computer Services
    Bill Moran, Yale/IBM
    Bob Scheifler, MIT X Consortium

The following tutorials will be given on January 15.  These
tutorials will run simultaneously; you can only attend one.  If you have not
yet sent in your registration for the X Conference, please include your
tutorial choice (name and number) on your registration form.  You can also
indicate one alternate tutorial, in case your first choice fills up.  If you
do not wish to go to any tutorial, please indicate that.  If you have already
sent in your registration, don't worry, you will receive a tutorial selection
form along with your registration confirmation.

TUTORIAL #1: Event-handling in X, and The X Graphics Model
Ollie Jones, Apollo Division of Hewlett-Packard

    This tutorial is for C programmers familiar with Xlib and Xt programming
    who wish an in-depth coverage of event-handling in X, and the use and
    abuse of graphics.

    Part 1: Event-handling in X

    Overview of the X protocol.
    Error-handling.
    Event Queues, buffering, soliciting events.

    Window configuration events.
    Substructure redirection.
    Request-Redirecting events.

    Overview of direct input events.
    Controlling the pointer.
    ButtonPress/ButtonRelease events.
    MotionNotify events.
    Controlling event frequency.

    Pointer Grabs (active, passive)
    Automatic Pointer Grabs, OwnerGrabButtonMask

    The Keyboard.
    KeyPress/KeyRelease events.
    KeymapNotify events.
    Keyboard Grabs (active, passive)

    Freezing and Replaying events.

    Controlling Keyboard Focus.

    EnterNotify, LeaveNotify, FocusIn, FocusOut:
	tracking the pointer with a worms-eye view.

    Properties, Selections, and XSendEvent

    Part 2: The X Graphics Model

    GCs and the graphics pipeline
    GC attributes
    Clipping and Windows
    GC allocation from Xlib and Xt
    Using Drawing-Area Widgets
    When to Draw? Expose Events
    Graphics Primitives
    Text and Fonts
    Scrolling and Copying
    When to Scroll?  GraphicsExpose and NoExpose Events
    Images
    Bitmaps
    Creating Custom Graphic Widgets

TUTORIAL #2: Inter-Client Communication Conventions
Glenn Widener, Tektronix, Inc.

    This tutorial covers the Inter-Client Communication Conventions recently
    adopted by the X Consortium as a part of the core X standard.  The
    conventions are examined from a client developer's perspective.

    Attendees will learn the responsibilities of a portable, cooperative X
    client, how window and session managers might respond to client actions,
    and how to properly design and code a cooperating X client.  Conventions
    covered include selections, communication of multilingual text, resource
    names, manipulating windows, icons, and popups, handling input focus,
    input devices, and colormaps, and starting and stopping windows, clients,
    and sessions.  The R4 ICCC changes in the Xlib and X toolkit intrinsics
    programmatic interfaces are described, with examples.

TUTORIAL #3: OSF/Motif (TM)
Ellis Cohen, Open Software Foundation
	OSF/Motif is a trademark of the Open Software Foundation

    This tutorial describes the technical details of OSF/Motif, including the
    Motif Toolkit (the widget set), UIL (the Motif User Interface Language),
    mwm (the Motif Window Manager), and the Motif Style Guide.

    The tutorial is primarily aimed at developers, users, and technical
    managers who wish detailed information on the features and functionality
    of Motif.

TUTORIAL #4: Using XView (TM) to produce OPEN LOOK (TM) applications
XView Engineering Team members, Sun Microsystems
	   XView is a trademark of Sun Microsystems
 	   OPEN	LOOK is	a trademark of AT&T

    The goal of this tutorial is to give programmers an overview of what the
    XView toolkit is and give them enough information so that they'll be able
    to write interesting programs very quickly.  We will also cover the
    mechanics of the XView classing model and writing XView extensions.

    Additionally, we will discuss the tools that are available to quickly
    prototype XView OPEN LOOK applications (ie. OpenWindows (TM) Develpers
    GUIDE (TM), a Graphical User Interface Design Editor).  Also, the tools to
    convert existing SunView applications to XView such that they are portable
    to all X servers.

    We will also be discussing the OLGX (OPEN LOOK Graphics) library and how
    it will be used to provide both 2D and 3D-look OPEN LOOK graphics for the
    toolkit, window manager and other clients.

    The tutorial is primarily aimed at developers and technical managers who
    wish detailed information on the features and functionality of XView.

TUTORIAL #5: Writing Applications with the OPEN LOOK (TM) Xt Based
		Programming Environment
Marcel Meth, AT&T Bell Laboratories
	   OPEN	LOOK is	a trademark of AT&T

    The goal of this this tutorial is to illustrate the ease with which
    programmers can adopt a graphical user interface for their applications.
    The graphical programming environment used to exemplify concepts is the
    AT&T Xt based based programming environment running on the X Window
    System. The programming environment consists of the OPEN LOOK toolkit
    together with three client processes.  The toolkit is based on the MIT
    intrinsics, runs in the X Window System environment, and provides the
    basic building blocks that allow programmers to easily construct
    applications that conform to the OPEN LOOK Graphical User Interface. The
    tutorial is divided into four contiguous sections.

    The first part provides a bird's eye view of User Interface Technology as
    well as toolkit technology.  The goal of the first section is twofold:
    first, to clarify the distinction between User Interfaces and Toolkits,
    and second, to provide a historical perspective.

    The second section of the tutorial is devoted to illustrating the use of
    the mainstream components of the OPEN LOOK Xt based programming
    environment.  These components include all the composite widgets, as well
    as the the majority of the primitive widgets.

    The next section covers the more intricate widgets as well as the
    programmatic interfaces with the OPEN LOOK clients.

    Finally, the last part of the tutorial will provide hints for programmers
    as to how they may achieve optimal performance using Xt based toolkits.

TUTORIAL #6: Programming with InterViews
Paul Calder, Stanford University

    InterViews is a true object-oriented toolkit for X that emphasizes
    composition as a way of building user interfaces.  The toolkit supports
    composition of interactive objects (such as scroll bars and buttons), text
    objects (such as words and whitespace), and graphics objects (such as
    circles and polygons).  InterViews is written in C++.

    The tutorial will use an example-driven approach to introduce the basic
    concepts of InterViews and demonstrate how actual applications are built.
    During the course of the tutorial, a simple InterViews-based application
    will be developed.  A short videotape (10 minutes) will be shown to
    demonstrate InterViews in action.

    This tutorial will be an updated version of the one given at last year's X
    Conference and at Xhibition this past June.  Attendees should be familiar
    with C, X, and basic object-oriented programming concepts.  Familiarity
    with C++ would be an advantage, but is not required.

TUTORIAL #7: The Serpent UIMS
Len Bass, Erik Hardy, Rick Kazman, Dan Klein
Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University

    The Serpent UIMS represents a new generation of User Interface Management
    Systems that manage the total dynamic behavior of an interface and that
    allow applications to remain uninvolved with the details of the user
    interface.

    Serpent is designed to manage relatively arbitrary toolkits.  There is a
    language that is used to describe the user interface and its dynamic
    behavior and an editor that allows the interface to be built using
    standard drawing facilities.  The editor integrates the textual
    specification of the user interface logic with the graphic specification
    of the user interface appearance.

    The tutorial will cover all aspects of the use of Serpent including: the
    use of the editor, the Serpent language and the specification of dialogues
    within Serpent.

    Serpent is intended to be used either with an application in a production
    environment or without an application in a prototyping environment.  There
    is an interface description language used both by the application to
    describe its interface to Serpent and by the toolkits to describe their
    interface to Serpent.  Applications and toolkits written in either C or
    Ada can be used with Serpent, although the interface description mechanism
    is designed to be extensible to other languages.

We expect the following "Birds of a Feather" sessions to be held.

Monday
    Motif
    XView
    InterViews
    Lisp Toolkits
    Performance Evaluation
    Ada and X
    Emacs and X
    X and "Other" Languages (not C, C++, Lisp, or Ada)

Tuesday
    R4 Xt Intrinsics
    TAE Plus
    Interactive Development Tools
    C++ and X
    Server Implementors Mini-Session
    Testing and Validation Mini-Session
    Internationalization
    Colormaps, Colors, and Image Display and Manipulation

Wednesday
    User Interface Management Systems
    Avoiding Pitfalls in Writing Widgets
    Server Implementors
    Testing and Validation
    VEX and Overlays
    Computer Conferencing and X
    Gwm
    Session Managers

The following talks will be given during the main sessions on January 16-17.

The Changes Made to the Xt Intrinsics in Release 4
Ralph R. Swick
Digital Equipment Corporation/M.I.T. Project Athena

    The main intent of this presentation is to show to the audience that
    while many things have been added in many areas, binary compatibility
    can be maintained for 98% of applications and widgets.  I will present
    some rationale for the more significant improvements and simply
    enumerate the simpler and more easily understood improvements.

The Xt Intrinsics:  Lessons for the Next Generation
Paul Asente
Digital Equipment Corporation Western Software Lab

    The X Toolkit Intrinsics were designed under tight time constraints
    simultaneously with software that uses them.  As a result, some
    decisions made early on in the design turned out to be the wrong ones,
    but too much derived software existed to make radical changes.  This
    talk discusses some of the features of the toolkit that ended up being
    over-complicated or hard to use, including how entries in translation
    tables interact, some details of geometry management, and difficulties
    in detecting programming errors.

TAE Plus: Transportable Applications Environment Plus
Marti Szczur
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

    TAE Plus is a portable tool for designing, building and tailoring an
    application's user interface (UI) and for controlling the designed UI
    throughout the application's execution.  The main component of TAE Plus
    is a WYSIWYG user interface designer's "WorkBench" that allows an
    application developer to interactively construct the look and feel of an
    application screen by arranging and manipulating "interaction objects"
    (e.g., radio buttons, menus, icons, stretchers, rotators, etc.).

Beyond the Interface: Rapid Interactive Development of MOTIF Applications
    with a User Interface Manager for X
Frank Hall
Hewlett-Packard Company, Corvallis Information Systems

    Hewlett-Packard and Visual Edge Software, Ltd., are creating a rapid
    development tool which combines an interactive layout facility with a C
    interpreter to address the whole task of creating any application based
    on the OSF/Motif widget set.  The resulting productivity gains have
    exceeded two orders of magnitude in field use.  This presentation
    reviews the tool's functionality and its potential role in the
    development cycle of X applications.

An Object-Oriented, Constraint-Based, User Interface Development Environment
    for X in CommonLisp
Brad A. Myers
School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University

    The Garnet User Interface Development Environment contains a
    comprehensive set of tools that make it significantly easier to design
    and implement highly-interactive, graphical, direct manipulation user
    interfaces.  It is implemented in CommonLisp on top of the X/11 window
    manager.  The lower layers of Garnet provide an object-oriented,
    constraint-based graphical system that allows properties of graphical
    objects to be specified in a simple, declarative manner and then
    maintained automatically by the system.  The higher layers of Garnet
    include an interface builder tool, called Lapidary, that allows the user
    interface designer to draw pictures of @i(all) graphical aspects of the
    user interface.  Another high level tool is an automatic dialogue box
    and menu editor, called Jade.

OI: A Model Extendable C++ Toolkit for X Windows
Gary Aitken
Solbourne Computer, Inc.

     OI is a C++ based toolkit for writing clients intended to run using the
    X Window System Version 11.  Like other toolkits, the OI provides a
    basic set of objects used in constructing an interface.  Unlike other
    toolkits, these objects are generic in nature.  The particular
    appearance and behavior of an object may be determined at execution time
    -- the same executable image may run under two different interaction and
    appearance models.  The current library supports OpenLook and a partial
    Motif implementation; a complete Motif implementation is expected by
    spring 1990.

XOOT -- The C++ X Object-Oriented Toolkit for the rest of us
George W. Sherouse
Radiation Oncology, Univerity of North Carolina

    XOOT is an X Object-Oriented Toolkit intended to simplify and structure
    the design and implementation of X applications.  In addition, it is
    intended to address some issues which arise in development of complex
    X-based applications, such as image display and graphics software.  XOOT
    is specifically designed for use in applications which are
    resource-intensive.  The "standard" toolkits with which we are familiar
    make several resource-related assumptions which are not appropriate for
    applications like our image-based medical CAD work.

The Answer Garden
Mark Ackerman, Thomas W. Malone
Center for Coordination Science, MIT

    Two of the considerable problems in using X are finding a starting point
    when learning X initially and understanding the site dependencies in
    using X. NetNews has a early continuous flow of similar, naive
    questions.  Users, even in research and development laboratories, have
    difficulty in distinguishing MIT releases from vendor releases, locating
    source materials at their site, knowing about bug fixes, and finding the
    proper people to ask.  The objective of this project is to design and
    develop an information tool that will alleviate these problems.

Internationalization in the X Window System
Sivan Mahadevan
AT&T Bell Laboratories

    There is significant interest today in defining standards to ensure
    internationalization support in X.  Such standardization in X is
    necessary to permit application writers to develop truely
    "internationalized" applications, or applications that require no source
    code modifications for correct operation in any national language or
    geographic location.  In this talk, I will discuss the requirements of
    internationalization in X and our experience in providing
    internationalization support in AT&T's Intrinsics-based OPEN LOOK(tm) X
    Toolkit.

Unidraw: A Framework for Building Domain-Specific Graphical Editors
John Vlissides
Stanford University

    Unidraw is a framework for creating object-oriented graphical editors.
    The framework defines four basic abstractions: components encapsulate
    the appearance and behavior of objects, tools support direct
    manipulation of components, commands define operations on components,
    and external representations define the mapping between components and a
    file or database.  Unidraw also supports multiple views, graphical
    connectivity, and dataflow between components.  This talk presents
    Unidraw and three prototype domain-specific editors we have developed
    with it: a drawing editor, a schematic capture system, and a user
    interface builder.  Unidraw is implemented in C++ on top of InterViews
    and X.

XDMCP -- A First Step in Making it Easier to Get Started in X
Dave Mackie, Ed Basart
Network Computing Devices

    This talk will cover XDMCP, the R4 usefulness of XDM and the technical
    trail that took us from the problems with R3 XDM, the addition of
    security, and the remaining problems that R4 XDM does not solve.

VEX: features and current state
Todd Brunhoff
Visual Systems Lab, Tektronix, Inc.

    Current design details of the VEX extension will be presented, including
    descriptions of how the protocol expresses video input, logically how it
    is displayed, and how various existing hardware is expected to fit into
    this paradigm; video output, the logic of capturing graphics, along with
    current hardware; and device control, why it is in X as opposed to out
    of X, and what the functionality is expected to accomplish.

X server optimization and hardware issues
Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium

    The MIT Sample server for Release 4 represents a dramatic departure from
    previous releases.  Instead of providing a proof-of-concept for the
    server side of the X protocol, this release focuses on a wide range of
    performance issues.  Besides recognising performance problems in the
    hardware independent code, we were able to isolate and catagorize
    problems which confront the X server implementor on a wide range of
    hardware systems.  An overview of the design of the R4 server will be
    presented, along with a candid discussion of tradeoffs which are
    inherent in both server implementation and hardware design as it affects
    the core X server.

A Multithreaded Server for X and PEX
Ian Elliott, John Brezak, Nathan Meyers
Hewlett-Packard Company

    The basics of multithreaded programming, various issues, alternative
    solutions, and a recommended direction will be discussed.  Among the
    issues discussed will be: partitioning core X and extension code into
    multiple threads; isolating the server implementation from the threading
    package; ensuring correct execution with preemptive thread scheduling;
    performance impacts of multithreading.

Opportunities with Lightweight Processes
Christian P. Jacobi
Xerox PARC

    There are many reasons to use multiprogramming.  It might be a way to
    deal with multiprocessors, it might be fun, or, sometimes it even helps
    engineering your software right.  Multiprogramming is an integrated
    feature of our Cedar programming language.  Since I have written an
    "XLib" and a "Toolkit" for Cedar I have learned some lessons about
    multiprogramming with X-Windows.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Window Sharing in X
John F. Patterson
Bellcore

    The talk describes a window sharing system that I have designed and
    implemented based on the X Window System and identifies features of X
    that are either good, bad, or unpleasant when implementing a window
    sharing system.  The talk consists of four major parts.  A background
    part discusses both window sharing in general and my implementation in
    particular.  Then the next three parts present the three lists of X
    characteristics: good, bad, and ugly.

Using speech recognition to augment window manager functions
Chris Schmandt
MIT Media Lab

    This talk will describe Xspeak, a speech recognition interface for
    navigation under X windows.  It will discuss: window manager operations
    amenable to speech input; Xspeak implementation and operation;
    interactions and problems with window managers; results of evaluation
    among a small community of users.

Gwm, the emacs-like window manager
Colas Nahaboo
BULL Research FRANCE

    I will present Gwm, the emacs-like window manager, show what experience
    has been gained since its general release on expo in July 89, and how I
    plan to enhance it in the future.

xRooms: A Multiple Virtual Workspace Interface for the X Window System
Bill Janssen
Xerox Corporation

    This talk describes the implementation of Xerox's "Rooms" as a
    co-process of an X Window System window manager.  Rooms is a workspace
    manager that supports grouping of related activities into `tasks', rapid
    switching between tasks, an overview of current tasks, and
    suspension/resumption of tasks.  Issues of X Window System session
    management and client/window-manager cooperation are addressed.  A new
    strategy for non-iconification, based on the Rooms overview system, is
    discussed.

Rooms, External Window Management, and the ICCCM
Hania Gajewska
Olivetti Research California
Mark S. Manasse
Systems Research Center, DEC

    Rooms management is an aspect of window management that can be separated
    from the more conventional role of a window manager -- that of providing
    a user interface for window positioning and sizing.  In this talk, we
    consider the problems of implementing an external rooms manager, that
    is, one which is a separate program from the window manager.  We further
    consider the problems arising in the construction of a
    window-manager-independent external rooms manager, that is, one which
    provides rooms management functionality with any ICCCM-compliant window
    manager.  We exhibit some of the restrictions this imposes on the style
    of rooms management, and some of the problems with the current ICCCM
    that makes this harder than it might be.

The following three talks will be given during a Server Implementor's
mini-session, held concurrently with BOFs:

RealTimeX: Can it "Real"ly Work?
Sam Black
Concurrent Computer Corporation

    The characteristics and behaviour of the X Window System is sufficient
    for most graphics applications.  Real-time applications, however,
    require special func-tions to attain real-time response.  Many people
    feel that high performance is sufficient to claim that a system is
    real-time.  This is not the case.  In order to attain real-time response
    and the feel of a real-time system, significant modifications need to
    be made to the X server, and an extension to the X protocol is required.

Technology Directions in Hardware Assisted X
Dick Verburg, John Cook
IBM

    X server graphics management
    Hardware Exploitation
    Division of labor--server, client, kernel
    Adapter Requirements
    Graphics client requirements
    Performance comparisons (high level)
    Proposed architecture

Porting the X-11 Server to Non-Memory Mapped Graphics Cards
    With Graphics Accelerators
Erich Rickheit, Dave Pelland, Rich Miner
Center for Porductivity Enhancement, University of Lowell

    Numerous contemporary graphics and windowing peripherals are being
    developed with custom or over the counter graphics processors. In many
    instances these graphics systems do not allow a host CPU to access the
    graphics fame buffer directly.  In these systems there is often a
    command level interface which is used to communicate between the host
    and graphics processor.  This presentation will focus on the design of
    an X11 server for such environments.  The presentation will provide a
    general overview of the issues involved in such a port, using examples
    from a server implementation developed for the TIGA software interface
    for a Texas Instruments TMS34010 based graphics card.

The following three talks will be given during a Testing and Validation
mini-session, held concurrently with BOFs:

Enhancing the Input Synthesis Extension with Xtrap
Alan Jamison
Digital Equipment Corp.

    This talk will present experiences within Digital in going beyond the
    functionality available in the current version of the Input Synthesis
    Extension. It will reflect actual work which has taken place to date and
    recount various lessons learned during the process. It will also
    describe how this work is being used at Digital for performing testing
    of the DECwindows product which is based on X. Alternative methods of
    input synthesis and output detection based on non-screen compare methods
    will be discussed as well as how they apply to solving problems in the
    windows testing space.

Automating X Window System testing by User Synthesis
Dan Coutu
Digital Equipment Corp.

    This talk will describe an X application (Xigor) which helps to automate
    testing of X via a record/playback mechanism. Xigor uses Input Synthesis
    concepts as well as X request detection, time delays, etc. to control
    the recording and replay of an interactive user session. The recording
    can then be converted into a C script for detailed customization and
    editing. After this script editing process your test program is now
    capable of acting as a synthesized user instead of just a sequential
    playback utility. Error detection and correction can be a part of your
    script. The talk will address functionality and portability of the tool
    as well as future directions.

1000 Unemployed Monkeys
Len Wyatt, Liz Heller
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.

    At Sequent, graphical applications are being made based upon the X
    Window System and the X-Pression User Interface Management System
    (UIMS).  The UIMS allows applications to construct objects (menus,
    scrollbars) and processes I/O for the objects (locates a mouse click
    within a menu title, for example, and pulls the menu down).  The test
    tools use the intrinsic knowledge that the UIMS has of the location and
    state of all the objects it manages.  Requests have been added to the
    UIMS to allow a testing agent to access this information.

The following talk will be given at the start of a BOF:

Pitfalls in Widget Writing and In Using Widgets to Write Applications
Miles O'Neal
Sales Technologies Inc.
Susan Liebeskind
Georgia Tech Research Institute

    Making Things Happen
    Resources
    Timing Issues
    Widget Partitioning
    Object-Orientedness Issues
    Breaking The Rules
    Nested Event Loops
    Toolkit or not Toolkit
    Debugging in Xland

ON-SITE REGISTRATION
(space available basis)
Registration for the Conference will also take place at the Boston Marriott
Copley Place during the following times:

	   Monday, January 15, 1990		10:00am-5:00pm
	   Tuesday, January 16			7:45am-5:00pm
	   Wednesday, January 17		7:45am-12:00noon

SESSIONS
All sessions of the conference will be held at the Boston Marriott
Copley Place. There will be no vendor exhibits.

		Monday, January 15
			TUTORIALS  1:00pm to 6:00pm
			BOFS       6:20pm to 8:00pm
		Tuesday, January 16
			TALKS  9:00am to 5:00pm
			BOFS   5:20pm to 7:00pm
			FORUM  8:30pm to 10:30pm (Q&A with the X Consortium)
		Wednesday, January 17
			TALKS  8:30am to 4:00pm
			BOFS   4:15pm to 5:45pm

PAYMENT
The registration fee of $50 includes admission to assigned Tutorial
Sessions and all Talk & Discussion Sessions.  Payment must be included
with advance registration.  Advance registration forms will not be
processed without full payment.

REFUNDS
All refund requests must be made in writing to the MIT Conference Services
Office and postmarked by 15 December 1989.  The registration will be refunded
less a $10 processing fee.  No refunds will be granted after that date,
however substitutions will be accepted until Friday, 12 January 1990.

CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS & TUTORIAL NOTES
Tutorial Session registration entitles you to one copy of the notes for
that course.   Conference registration entitles you to one copy of the
conference proceedings.  Advance Registrants must pick up their conference
credentials and materials at the Conference Registration Desk. Individual
Tutorial Notes and Conference Proceedings cannot be ordered in advance,
nor can they be obtained after the conference.

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS
The Boston Marriott Copley Place has reserved a block of rooms for conference
participants from Sunday, 14 January through Wednesday, 17 January.  The
Marriott is located in one of Boston's newest retail developments within
walking distance of many of the City's attractions.  The Hotel features
several restaurants, health club facilities, an indoor swimming pool and
conference-related services.

Conference rate: $99/night for a single, twin, or double, exclusive of a
9.7% tax/night.  This rate is guaranteed until 22 December 1989.  Parking is
available for an additional fee.

HOTEL RESERVATIONS
To make hotel reservations, complete and return the Hotel Reservation Form
to the following address:

		    Boston Marriott Copley Place
		       110 Huntington Avenue
		         Boston, MA  02116
		    ATTENTION: Reservations Dept.

Questions regarding hotel accommodations should be directed to the
Boston Marriott Copley Place at the above address or Tel: 1-800-228-9290.
Your reservation will be confirmed upon receipt.  (Hotel Reservation Forms
can be obtained from the M.I.T. Conference Services Office)

		   sponsored by the MIT X Consortium

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

			CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FORM

		      4th ANNUAL X TECHNICAL CONFERENCE
			Boston Marriott Copley Place
			    15-17 January 1990
PLEASE PRINT

NAME:____________________________________________________________
		(first)			(last)
COMPANY/INSTITUTION:_____________________________________________

ADDRESS:_________________________________________________________

CITY:_________________STATE/COUNTRY:_______________ZIP:__________

ELECTRONIC MAIL ADDRESS:_________________________________________

TELEPHONE:_________________________________

TUTORIAL SELECTION:  Number: ______    or check here if None: ______

	Title:  _________________________________________________________

ALTERNATE TUTORIAL:  Number: ______    or check here if None: ______

	Title:  _________________________________________________________

Registration received after 6 January cannot be processed in time for the
conference.  If you mail a registration that is received after 6 January,
it will be returned to you and you will need to register on-site.  Your
registration will be confirmed upon receipt of payment and this completed
form.  If you have not indicated a tutorial selection, information on the
Tutorial Sessions will be sent with your confirmation of registration.   You
must reply with your selection of tutorials by 6 January.

Refund requests must be made in writing and postmarked by 15 December 1989.
The registration fee will be refunded less a $10 processing fee.

The registration fee is $50 per person.  Registration will not be processed
without full payment.  The following forms of payment are acceptable:

__Check or money order enclosed made payable to M.I.T.
__Mastercard	  __Visa

____________________________________   ________________________________
Card Number			       Expiration Date

Cardholder's Signature required for credit card transactions

PRINT CARDHOLDER'S NAME

Return this form and payment by 6 January to the following address:

		M.I.T. Conference Services Office
	       Room 7-111, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
		     Cambridge, MA  02139
   Telephone: 617/253-1703   Telefax:  617/258-8762  Telex: 92-1473

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

			HOTEL RESERVATION FORM

		     BOSTON MARRIOTT COPLEY PLACE
		   4th Annual X Technical Conference
			  15-17 January 1990

Please include first night's deposit with reservation to guarantee your
arrangements. A check or money order made payable to the Boston Marriott
Copley Place Hotel or one of the credit cards listed below is an acceptable
form of payment.   If the reservation is not honored on the day of arrival
or is not cancelled before 6:00 pm on that day, you will be billed for one
night and the reservation will be cancelled.  The Hotel's direct telephone
number is 617/236-5800.

The room rate of $99/night for Single or Double (2ppl/1bed) or Twin
(2ppl/2beds) will be honored until December 22, 1989.  (rates also
applicable for Sunday, January 14)  Guest rooms will be available after
4:00 pm; check-out time is Noon.  All rooms are subject to 9.7% tax
(subject to change).

PLEASE PRINT
NAME:______________________________________________________________
	(first)			(last)
COMPANY/INSTITUTION:_______________________________________________

ADDRESS:___________________________________________________________

CITY:________________STATE/COUNTRY:__________________ZIP:__________

TELEPHONE:		 Room Type*:
				  *(single, double, or twin)

Please supply names of additional persons to occupy room.
Name of occupant		Arrival date/time	Departure date

_____________________________   _____________________   __________________

_____________________________   _____________________   __________________

An additional charge will be made if a room is shared by a third adult.

___ Please send me a confirmation of my room reservation.

__Check or money order enclosed payable to Boston Marriott Copley Place Hotel.
	__American Express     __Mastercard	  __Visa

____________________________________   ________________________________
Card Number			       Expiration Date

Cardholder's Signature required for credit card transactions

PRINT CARDHOLDER'S NAME

Hotel reservations and Conference registration are being handled at
two separate locations, remember to mail this form to the following
address to avoid considerable delays:

		Return to:   Boston Marriott Copley Place
				110 Huntington Avenue
				  Boston, MA  02116
			ATTENTION: Reservations Department

rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/05/91)

Today is the last day for pre-registration for the X Conference.  But don't
despair, there is still plenty of room in the various tutorials and in the
main talk sessions, so you can always register on site.

If you come into Boston on Sunday, please try to pick up your registration
materials at the Registration Desk between 3pm and 8pm.  This will help
avoid a big crunch on Monday morning.

If you take the subway (T) to the hotel, here's a tip (for west coasters :-)
to minimize your exposure to Boston's fine weather.  From the airport, take
the free (blue and white) shuttle bus to the Airport subway stop, pay 75 cents
and take the Blue Line inbound to State Street, switch to the Orange Line and
take it to Back Bay/South End.  Keep walking along the station platform past
the stairs that lead up to the street exit, and you'll find an underpass that
leads directly into the Copley Place mall.