[comp.windows.x] Postscript X server

raney@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Scott Raney) (04/12/89)

How does one typically produce printer output from X applications?
Screen dumps are not of acceptable quality.  What we need is an
X server that produces postscript output. That way one could
produce printer output by just opening another display (which would
be functionality similar to that offered by GEM and MS-Windows).

Does anyone know of such a product?  Is there another way to
get laser printer quality output from an X application?  Has
this subject come up before? If not, why not?

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (04/12/89)

In article <8074@boulder.Colorado.EDU> raney@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Scott Raney) writes:
>How does one typically produce printer output from X applications?
>Screen dumps are not of acceptable quality.

A standard X server is unlikely to deliver a higher quality image than
a screendump since the X server uses a screen pixel based imaging model.
We (and probably all other CAD/CAE companies) take the approach of having
our applications generate high quality output when it is needed.  The
applications generate a world coordinate output that is converted to
either the X screen pixel image model or to a resolution appropriate for
printers or plotters.

Alternatively, you could do world coordinate imaging in the server.
NeWS has a built in PostScript imaging model that can be converted to
any screen or printer resolution.  The announced PHIGS and Display
PostScript X extensions should be able to provide the same capabilities.
--
Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (04/12/89)

> *Excerpts from xpert: 11-Apr-89 Postscript X server Scott Raney@boulder.colo*
> *(495)*

> How does one typically produce printer output from X applications?  > Screen
> dumps are not of acceptable quality.  What we need is an > X server that
> produces postscript output.

Sounds like a really good idea to me.  Let me know if you find one.

bill@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Raves) (01/04/91)

I think this subject has come up before but it seems to just dribble
away - it has to do with the feasibility of implementing an X server
that drives a Postscript device.  Some advantages:

  - a mechanism for suitably equipped clients to produce hardcopy
    documents as well as normal crt images
  - higher resolution
  - minimal client-side modifications

What are the potential problem areas?  Some that I can envision:

  - drawing primitives which assume a readable frame buffer
    (e.g. Copy{Area, Plane}, {Get, Put}Image)
  - mapping X fonts to Postscript fonts
  - mapping X rasterops to Postscript painting operators

Would you anticipate any problems with a server that has no input
devices or cursors?

How about a "window manager" that interacts with a print spooler,
breaks windows into numbered pages, dumps out page decorations?...

Does this sound feasible?
Has anyone attempted or is anyone attempting to do this?
Is this a good project to hire out (we have minimal X server,
Postscript experience) ?
----

--
Bill Raves				bill@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!bill@arizona.edu

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (01/05/91)

> I think this subject has come up before but it seems to just dribble
> away - it has to do with the feasibility of implementing an X server
> that drives a Postscript device.  Some advantages:
>
>etc.
>
> Does this sound feasible?
> Has anyone attempted or is anyone attempting to do this?
> Is this a good project to hire out (we have minimal X server,
> Postscript experience) ?
> ----

	If you are using Suns currently, perhaps you should contact
	them regarding their $495 NeWSprint product.
	You send it Postscript and it'll rasterize it for a whole
	slew of hardcopy devices.

	Frank G.