[comp.windows.x] xterms & networks

meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) (01/05/91)

Okay, stupid question time.

Running X11R3 on Berkeley systems (Dec, Tek) and OSF/1.

rlogin, rsh, etc to an SV-based system (running R3
also). The new system doesn't have a clue what size my
terminal is. Is this because the term type doesn't make
it over properly, the pty is broken, or what?

It happens when communicating with other Berkeley systems
as well, but at least I can stty rows & columns.

1) What's the fix?

2) If none, what's the workaround for SV?

Thanks,
Miles

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/06/91)

In article <5634@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> meo@Dixie.Com (Miles ONeal) writes:
>rlogin, rsh, etc to an SV-based system (running R3
>also). The new system doesn't have a clue what size my
>terminal is. Is this because the term type doesn't make
>it over properly, the pty is broken, or what?

You need to be more specific about the system type.  SVR2, SVR3,
and SVR4 are so different from each other that they may as well
be different os'es.  We run a fairly straight SVR4 here, and have
no problems of this type.

SVR2 and SVR3 don't have sockets, so if you are using one of these,
they were added by your vendor, and may not be complete with respect to
window sizes (SVR2 and SVR3 only support the LINES and COLUMNS
environment variables as far as I know).