Geoff Kratz)
Date: 20 Aug 90 13:27:13 GMT

In <10102@hacgate.UUCP> mdiamond@ariel.dpl.scg.hac.com writes:

>Does one exist?  I know of one that runs under sunview: 3270tool.  It
>even has it's own font that looks like a 3270.  Any information
>regarding an X version would be very welcome.

>md.

	I have ported 3270tool to X.  It's currently in beta test here at
BNR, and I hope to post it comp.sources.x in about a month.  If there's
enough intereset, I may ftp it MIT before then...
--
Jeff Sparkes		jsparkes@bnr.ca
Another feature is that the seats float, so that the airline can recover

kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) (08/22/90)

In article <jsparkes.651158833@bcars85> jsparkes@bcars85.bnr.ca (Jeff Sparkes) writes:
>In <10102@hacgate.UUCP> mdiamond@ariel.dpl.scg.hac.com writes:
>
>>Does one exist?  I know of one that runs under sunview: 3270tool.  It
>>even has it's own font that looks like a 3270.  Any information
>>regarding an X version would be very welcome.
>
>	I have ported 3270tool to X.  It's currently in beta test here at
>BNR, and I hope to post it comp.sources.x in about a month.  If there's
>enough intereset, I may ftp it MIT before then...

Out of curiosity:
    How BERK-dependant is the source code?
    Which release level of X?

#include <standard_disclaimer>
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj@phx.mcd.mot.com      |

jsparkes@bcars85.bnr.ca (Jeff Sparkes) (08/22/90)

In <13470@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) writes:
>>	I have ported 3270tool to X.  It's currently in beta test here at
>>BNR, and I hope to post it comp.sources.x in about a month.  If there's
>>enough intereset, I may ftp it MIT before then...

>Out of curiosity:
>    How BERK-dependant is the source code?
>    Which release level of X?

	Well, it needs sockets.  It runs under SunOS, HP-UX and Apollo.
It doesn't use any widget library, just Xt.  It definitely works under R4,
and probably R3.
--

mikeh@bryant.NCD.COM (Mike Harrigan) (08/23/90)

Sparkes) writes:
> [...]

Lynx Software has a product called 3270/X that currently runs under SCO
Open Desktop, but they are intending to port to other platforms.  You
could contact Jerry Anderson at 800-336-LYNX or (better yet)
uunet!lynxwwt!info.

I'm not affiliated with this company, just interested in 3270 emulation
for X.  I'd be interested in hearing about others.

Mike Harrigan
Network Computing Devices
mikeh@ncd.com

mikeh@bryant.NCD.COM (Mike Harrigan) (08/24/90)

In article <10102@hacgate.UUCP>, mdiamond@ariel.dpl.scg.hac.com writes:
|> Does one exist?  I know of one that runs under sunview: 3270tool.  It
|> even has it's own font that looks like a 3270.  Any information
|> regarding an X version would be very welcome.
|>
|> md.

If you are interested in commercial products here are two that I know of:

Lynx Software has a product called 3270/X that currently runs under SCO
Open Desktop, but they are intending to port to other platforms.  You
could contact Jerry Anderson at 800-336-LYNX or (better yet)
uunet!lynxwwt!info.

I also recently read about a product called IOC3270-S from I/O Concepts
that you may want to investigate.  I/O Concepts Inc. is in Seattle, WA;
you can reach them at (206) 286-7406.

I'm not affiliated with either company, just interested in 3270 emulation
for X.  I'd be interested in hearing about others.

Mike Harrigan
Network Computing Devices
mikeh@ncd.com

MAH@awiwuw11.wu-wien.ac.at (Michael Haberler) (08/26/90)

We are currently working on a X11 IBM3179 emulator. It's
not ready for release yet; I guess it will be late fall until
we're confident with it.

It does display some nice SAS and APL graphics demos already.
We still have to finish the graphics emulation and work on
text I/O preformance.

It does display some SAS and APL demos nicely. We still have to
work on performance and finishing the graphics emulation. APL
mode is not implemented yet.

Btw: we're looking for IBM-3270 style screen fonts; we only have one
size so far, also no APL font. I do know about the pre-R4 X11 Apl fonts,
but they're not the size we need. I'm thinking about using Metafont, apl.mf
and the Dirk Grunwald's gf->bdf conversion program from the SeeTex
distribution. But that would'nt help us for the plain (ebcdic) screen font.
any ideas?

-Michael Haberler

danh@uswat.uswest.com (Dan Henderson) (01/06/91)

I am looking for ANY information on 3270 emulators that use X for terminal I/O.
I would most perfer a 3270 widget and a tcp/ip or telnet communications widget.

Dan Henderson
US WEST ITG
1475 Lawrence Suite 500
Denver, CO 80202