[comp.windows.x] use of xannounce

zinnato@nadc.nadc.navy.MIL (R. Zinnato) (01/04/91)

>Regardless of the reasons for which x.announce was created, my personal
>use of it is to help keep
>abreast of all software that I can run in my X environment. I do not
>care where that software comes
>from.
>
>I am not in favor of this group turning into a product advertising
>forum, but I would like to encourage
>anyone who produces X oriented software to make an announcement to this group.
>

>Greg Carleu

Ok, then how about:  Regardless for the reason your personal account was
created, I'd like it used as a repository for inane flames and encourage
everyone else to do the same.

jamey@cache.crc.ricoh.COM (Jamey Graham) (01/05/91)

>Regardless of the reasons for which x.announce was created, my personal
>use of it is to help keep
>abreast of all software that I can run in my X environment. I do not
>care where that software comes
>from.
>
>I am not in favor of this group turning into a product advertising
>forum, but I would like to encourage
>anyone who produces X oriented software to make an announcement to this group.
>

>Greg Carleu

I tend to agree with Greg.  I would much rather be notified of
products here (via e-mail), at least initially, than to receive mail
via U.S. mail for this very simple reason: electronic messages do not
need to be recycled.  Not all junk, paper mail can be recycled.  If
initial information can be provided here (or in a news group created
for such announcements) then interested parties can ask for more
(paper?) information.  It's good for me.

Jamey Graham                      Ricoh California Research Center
jamey@crc.ricoh.com               2882 Sand Hill Road, Suite 115
                                  Menlo Park, CA  94025-7022

!SaveSomeTrees!

In article <1991Jan4.151938.17283@hri.com> greg@hri.com (Greg Carleu) writes:
>> How about a new newsgroup, comp.windows.x.newprod?
>
>Sounds good to me. What do other people think?

Well first of all, I don't think it should be discussed in the announce
group.

Secondly, comp.newprod is not exactly a high volume group, so I see no
need to create yet another one.

Finally, I don't care one way or another whether people put ads in
comp.windows.x.announce - I'll defer to whatever its creator thinks.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.		|	motif-request@alfalfa.com
nazgul@alfalfa.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (01/06/91)

>> Regardless of the reasons for which x.announce was created, my
>> personal use of it is to help keep abreast of all software that I
>> can run in my X environment.  I do not care where that software
>> comes from.

xannounce isn't there for that.  You're trying to use it for something
it's not intended for.

> I tend to agree with Greg.  I would much rather be notified of
> products here (via e-mail), [...].

So start a mailing list for commercial X product announcements.  Don't
try to take over someone else's mailing list for whatever you happen to
think it would be handy to use it for.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu