[net.news.group] net.announce

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (09/20/85)

> One problem I see is that people aren't reading the net.announce.newusers
> stuff.  Maybe if they did they'd have a greater feel for the impact of
> --- David Herron

Doesn't the ADMSUB list (in defs.h) force subscription to all.announce?

Of course the news administrator has to move that to the begining of the
active list so that the user sees it first.

Is the ADMSUB not working or is there a more basic problem?

					Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix|olhqma}!oliveb!jerry

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (09/20/85)

In article <598@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>> One problem I see is that people aren't reading the net.announce.newusers
>> stuff.  Maybe if they did they'd have a greater feel for the impact of
>> --- David Herron
>
>Doesn't the ADMSUB list (in defs.h) force subscription to all.announce?

Yes it does.  But people can always 'n' past it (and do, and complain
about this stuff they don't wanna read).  Or, if they're more intelligent,
they can edit their .newsrc and force a unsubscription.

It's either just that some people hate being told what to do, or it's
too large a set of stuff all coming in at one time.  (i.e. if it were
split up more it might be read more)

>Is the ADMSUB not working or is there a more basic problem?

There's a more basic problem.  (above) and ... you just have to look
at all these people who are doing improper postings.  NJ people
posting for sale ads, and requests for baby sitters, and who knows
what else.  And it's going to the whole net!

If they had read the announce.newusers stuff they'd know better, right?
So they're not reading it.  (Or, at least, they're not understanding it,
not putting in the effort to understand it).

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA

Hackin's in me blood.  My mother was known as Miss Hacker before she married!