[comp.windows.x] Problems with X/Motif/Apollo

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (01/09/91)

I'm new to X/Motif and am having a problem.  I first tried examples from
Douglas Young's book "The X Window System: Programming and Applications
with Xt (OSF/Motif ed.) and got various flaky results.  The simplest
"hello, world" ('memo', if you've got the book) worked OK, but other examples
crash in various ways.  For example, 'formedit' comes up OK, but crashes with
a segmentation fault when I click on the frame, or do much of anything.

The only indication I get of things being wrong with these (or my
environment) are a warning from the Toolkit:

	X Toolkit Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallbacks

Though I also get this warning for examples that (kind of) work.

I also tried the trivial example from volume 4 of the O'Reilly manual:

------

#include <X11/Intrinsic.h>
#include <X11/Stringdefs.h>
#include <X11/Label.h>

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char *argv;
{
	Widget toplevel, hello;

	toplevel = XtInitialize(argv[0],"XHello",NULL,0,&argc,argv);
	hello = XtCreateManagedWidget("hello",labelWidgetClass,toplevel,NULL,0);
	XtRealizeWidget(toplevel);
	XtMainLoop();
}

-----

and got:

----

X Toolkit Warning: Representation type Cursor must match superclass's to
override cursor
X Toolkit Warning: No type converter registered for 'Cursor' to 'Pixel'
conversion
Segmentation fault

-----

before the window had come up.

I'm running on an Apollo DN3500 under OS v10.3, with Motif 1.0.  Thanks
in advance for any insight.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.011220.9219@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>I'm new to X/Motif and am having a problem.  I first tried examples from
>
>I'm running on an Apollo DN3500 under OS v10.3, with Motif 1.0.  Thanks
>in advance for any insight.

  Looks like mismatch between Motif 1.0 Xt and (any other) vendor provided Xt.

  When using Motif 1.0 on ANY machine that has a vendor provided R3 or R4 Xt
  library and include files, you must make sure that your compiles
  FIRST reference the Motif flavor of Xt includes, and your binds do the
  same for the libXt.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru