[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows: olwm icons

jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) (01/05/91)

Can anyone tell me how to associate icons with applications when running
OpenWindows 2.0 with the olwm window manager?  With the applications I'm
interested in I can't use the XView command line arguments -icon_image or
-WI because they aren't XView applications (stuff from the MIT X11R4
distribution, like xterm).  So it has to be done in .Xdefaults.

The XView man page (or excuse for one anyway) says that the resource name
is "Icon.Pixmap".  I've tried every permutation I could think of, in
the .Xdefaults and after "xterm -xrm", but nothing works.

Help?

--
If the From: line says nobody@kodak.com, don't believe it.

    Jeff Van Epps          jeffv@bisco.kodak.com
                           rochester!kodak!bisco!jeffv

smarks@eng.sun.COM (Stuart Marks) (01/05/91)

jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) writes:
| Can anyone tell me how to associate icons with applications when running
| OpenWindows 2.0 with the olwm window manager?  With the applications I'm
| interested in I can't use the XView command line arguments -icon_image or
| -WI because they aren't XView applications (stuff from the MIT X11R4
| distribution, like xterm).  So it has to be done in .Xdefaults.
|
| The XView man page (or excuse for one anyway) says that the resource name
| is "Icon.Pixmap".  I've tried every permutation I could think of, in
| the .Xdefaults and after "xterm -xrm", but nothing works.

I use

	xterm -xrm "XTerm*iconPixmap: $HOME/lib/bitmaps/letters"

under olwm, and it works OK.  In my .Xdefaults file, I have an entry of
the form

	XTerm*iconPixmap: /usr/parkway/smarks/lib/bitmaps/xterm

and it works, too.

In general, you can't use XView-style command line options and resources
with non-XView programs.  Xterm is an Xt-based application, and it uses
Xt-style command line options and resources.  Other Xt clients, xclock for
instance, also respond to the iconPixmap resource.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

mrd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Mark Dobie) (01/08/91)

In <9101050132.AA20784@trantor.Eng.Sun.COM> smarks@eng.sun.COM (Stuart Marks) writes:

>In general, you can't use XView-style command line options and resources
>with non-XView programs.  Xterm is an Xt-based application, and it uses
>Xt-style command line options and resources.  Other Xt clients, xclock for
>instance, also respond to the iconPixmap resource.

At last! I have been looking for how to do this for ages. Thanks. It's
a pity it isn't in any man pages though (HINT :-)) Is one supposed to
grep the source?

				Mark.

--

Mark Dobie                              M.Dobie@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
University of Southampton		M.Dobie@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) (01/08/91)

In article <9101050132.AA20784@trantor.Eng.Sun.COM> smarks@eng.sun.COM (Stuart Marks) writes:

> jeffv@bisco.kodak.com (Jeff Van Epps) writes:
> | Can anyone tell me how to associate icons with applications when running
> | OpenWindows 2.0 with the olwm window manager?  With the applications I'm
> | interested in I can't use the XView command line arguments -icon_image or
> | -WI because they aren't XView applications (stuff from the MIT X11R4
> | distribution, like xterm).  So it has to be done in .Xdefaults.
> |
> | The XView man page (or excuse for one anyway) says that the resource name
> | is "Icon.Pixmap".  I've tried every permutation I could think of, in
> | the .Xdefaults and after "xterm -xrm", but nothing works.
>
> I use
>
> 	xterm -xrm "XTerm*iconPixmap: $HOME/lib/bitmaps/letters"
>
> under olwm, and it works OK.  In my .Xdefaults file, I have an entry of
> the form
>
> 	XTerm*iconPixmap: /usr/parkway/smarks/lib/bitmaps/xterm
>
> and it works, too.
>
> In general, you can't use XView-style command line options and resources
> with non-XView programs.  Xterm is an Xt-based application, and it uses
> Xt-style command line options and resources.  Other Xt clients, xclock for
> instance, also respond to the iconPixmap resource.

Thanks to the several people who replied suggesting the same method.
Xterm is my primary application, and this does work, so most of my problem
is solved.  However there are other applications which don't seem to use
Xt (Xlib only I think), and of course they don't use "iconPixmap".  Under
mwm I could set their icon images with

	Mwm*applicationname.iconImage: foo.xbm

Is there no corresponding method under olwm?

Generally, is there any other way of solving these questions than "ask the
net"?  After getting the "iconPixmap" answer I grepped thru man3 from X11R4
and didn't find any references other than something in XAWMHints that looked
like it could be used in coding an X application but wasn't clear about how
to set the pixmap from a resource file.  How did you folks know that Xt
clients responded to "iconPixmap"?

It looks to me like XTerm*iconPixmap has nothing at all to do with XView's
Icon.Pixmap.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (01/10/91)

> Generally, is there any other way of solving these questions than
> "ask the net"?

UTSL, perhaps.

Of course, you *should* be able to just look in the documentation
provided by your X supplier.  Unfortunately the MIT doc set tends to be
reference rather than tutorial, so many people stay away from it.  And
most vendors provide nothing better - often worse.  (As one would
expect, alas.)

> After getting the "iconPixmap" answer I grepped thru man3 from X11R4
> and didn't find any references other than something in XAWMHints that
> looked like it could be used in coding an X application but wasn't
> clear about how to set the pixmap from a resource file.  How did you
> folks know that Xt clients responded to "iconPixmap"?

I don't know; I'm not one of them :-)  But I would guess that a couple
know it because they wrote the code; a bunch more know it because they
read the code for it, or code that uses it; a bunch more know it
because they've seen a posting on the net that talks about it.

(To think that there are still people who don't see the value of the
net.  Sigh.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu