[comp.windows.x] Looking for small client to 'warp' to second screen

esl0422@isc.rit.edu (E.S. Law) (01/09/91)

On our color SUN 3/60 machines, there are two X screens for
the display.  Moving the mouse pointer off either side of
the root window will cause the other screen to be displayed
(one is black and white, the other is 8bit color).  This
method of moving between screens is distracting and very
uncomfortable.

I know that Masscomp (now Concurrent) had a client called
XWarper which allowed the user to move between multiple
screens using a button.

Does anyone know where I can find such a beast?
or what properties or commands I could use to write my own?

Thanks
Eric

mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (01/10/91)

> On our color SUN 3/60 machines, there are two X screens for the
> display.  Moving the mouse pointer off either side of the root window
> will cause the other screen to be displayed (one is black and white,
> the other is 8bit color).  This method of moving between screens is
> distracting and very uncomfortable.

It can be disabled with the -zaphod option to the server (I am assuming
you are running R4).

> I know that Masscomp (now Concurrent) had a client called XWarper
> which allowed the user to move between multiple screens using a
> button.

> Does anyone know where I can find such a beast?

I have something similar available for ftp from 132.206.1.1, in
X/xscreenwarp.c.

> or what properties or commands I could use to write my own?

To flip between screens, use XWarpPointer to warp the pointer to the
desired screen; this causes the server to switch the display over to
the screen the pointer is warped to.  The user interface to drive this
can be designed to taste.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

doyle@b11.ingr.com (Doyle Davidson) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan8.220651.16215@isc.rit.edu>, esl0422@isc.rit.edu (E.S. Law) writes:

> On our color SUN 3/60 machines, there are two X screens for
> the display.  Moving the mouse pointer off either side of
> the root window will cause the other screen to be displayed
> (one is black and white, the other is 8bit color).  This
> method of moving between screens is distracting and very
> uncomfortable.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find such a beast?
Yes.  I wrote one for Intergraph workstations that have two virtual
screens but only one physical screen.  It is rather simple to do.
Email me for a copy or better yet, tell me how I get it placed
on some well known FTP node like expo.

Doyle
Doyle C. Davidson              |
Intergraph Corp.               |  Intergraph - the solutions company
Third Party Software           |
1 Madison Industrial Park      |
Huntsville, AL 35806           |
(205) 730-2000                 |         Everywhere you look!

..!uunet!ingr!doyle            |