[comp.windows.x] Two Question on tvtwm

razdan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Anshuman Razdan) (01/08/91)

Hi folks,
	After playing with mwm I got back to the wonderful world
of twm and I discovered still wonderful tvtwm. I have two
questions regarding the behaviour of tvtwm (twm). I am not sure
if they are bugs or features(?).

	1. When I use the virtual desktop option, the  background
pixmap of my screen becomes the stippled grey pattern (the
defualt when you bring up the server). It replaces the root pattern
that I set with xsetroot. When I restart the windowmanager, the
old pattern gets displayed momentarily before getting replaced by
twm supplied gray pattern.  Is there a fix or work around to it?

	2. This is to do with the function, f.hideiconmgr and
f.showiconmgr. When I first use the f.hideiconmgr (using a Func
key or thru menu) it unmaps the iconmgr alright. Next if asked to
showiconmgr, all the buttons (representing clients) show but
there is no border or title window i.e. twm does not provide it
with title and border and all the schabang it is supposed to. The
icon mgr also stays in foreground permanently including when the
panner is moved to different section of the screen (so it should
have hidden). Further attempts to hideiconmgr also fail. Any
further attemts to showiconmgr result in deiconfying (looks
arbitrary) of various clients in the iconmgr. The behaviour then
becomes erratic.

	Any Clue or workarounds are welcome. Pl. email or post.
If I get a fix, I will surely post it on the net.

Thanks
--

Anshuman Razdan

* razdan@toy			Test and Methodology Group *
*							   *
* razdan@phx.mcd.mot.com	Diablo Plant, Tempe  Az    *

In article <RAZDAN.91Jan7125223@behemoth.phx.mcd.mot.com> razdan@phx.mcd.mot.com (Anshuman Razdan) writes:

[...]

I found a fix for Problem 1. It is to be  done using
VirtualDesktopBackgroundPixmap resource. The hunt for soln to #2
is still on.

Thanks again
--

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (01/09/91)

In article <71795@bu.edu.bu.edu>, jc@bu-pub.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

|> > I found a fix for Problem 1. It is to be  done using
|> > VirtualDesktopBackgroundPixmap resource. The hunt for soln to #2
|> > is still on.
|> >

|> Has anyone found an 'on-the-fly' solution?

Depends on what you call `on-the-fly'.  VirtualDesktopBackgroundPixmap
is no real solution because it gives you only a fraction of the
functionality of xsetroot.  What you want is a version of xsetroot
that honors virtual root windows.  Replace mit/clients/xsetroot.c with
the ssetroot.c file that comes with tvtwm and recompile.

Many other clients can be coerced into using the virtual root by using the
"vroot.h" header file in expo.lcs.mit.edu:contrib.

Hopefully R5 will include a standard way of dealing with virtual roots...

--
Andreas Stolcke					stolcke@icsi.berkeley.edu
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@ucbicsi.bitnet

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (01/11/91)

[...]
> > I found a fix for Problem 1. It is to be  done using
> > VirtualDesktopBackgroundPixmap resource. The hunt for soln to #2
> > is still on.

In article <71795@bu.edu.bu.edu>, jc@bu-pub.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

> Has anyone found an 'on-the-fly' solution?
>
> jc

Yes, use the current version of xloadimage (Xloadimage version 2 patchlevel 02
by Jim Frost).  It supports to following formats:
  FBM Image
  Sun Rasterfile
  CMU WM Raster
  Portable Bit Map (PBM, PGM, PPM)
  Faces Project
  GIF Image
  Utah RLE Image
  X Window Dump
  McIDAS areafile
  G3 FAX Image
  MacPaint Image
  X Pixmap
  X Bitmap

It is available via uunet.uu.net, expo.lcs.mit.edu, and I think any
comp.windows.x archive site...
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"