[comp.windows.x] turning a Sun 3 into an Xterminal

mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) (01/09/91)

I keep hearing rumors about a software package which is capable of
turning (for instance) a diskless Sun 3/60 into an Xterminal.  Does
such a beast actually exist? or is SunOS with an X server the only
option?

thanks,
	-mik (mthome@bbn.com)

david@phys.anu.edu.au (David Baldwin) (01/10/91)

In article <61959@bbn.BBN.COM>, mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:
|> I keep hearing rumors about a software package which is capable of
|> turning (for instance) a diskless Sun 3/60 into an Xterminal.  Does
|> such a beast actually exist? or is SunOS with an X server the only
|> option?

I have successfully put up a package called Xkernel on some Sun 3/50s
which works fairly well.

I got it from munnari.oz.au via anonymous-ftp from
X.V11/R4/contrib/Xkernel.tar.Z

=========
David Baldwin				Internet: david@phys.anu.edu.au
Head, School Computer Unit,		Phone: (intl) +61+6+2490104
Research School of Physical Sciences,	  (Australia) (06) 249 0104
Australian National University		FAX:   (intl) +61+6+2491884
Canberra, ACT, Australia		  (Australia) (06) 249 1884
=========

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (01/11/91)

In article <61959@bbn.BBN.COM>, mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:
> I keep hearing rumors about a software package which is capable of
> turning (for instance) a diskless Sun 3/60 into an Xterminal.  Does
> such a beast actually exist? or is SunOS with an X server the only
> option?

The only one I have seen is a set-up with a minimal Kernel and support (4M swap,
nothing but init runs...).  The diffrence between a real Kernel & the assorted
daemons and X vs. the Xkernel on a 3/50 is asstounding.  On a 3/60 it is not
even noticable (I susspect if you had a 4M 3/60 it would be noticable :-).

The version I got only supported SunOS4.0 on a 3/50.  I have made 4.1 & 3/60
versions.  I also discovered how to make the 3/50 (or 3/60) boot as a normal
workstation with the DIAG switch (the switch on the back of the Sun that normally
does nothing interesting) in one position, and an X terminal with it in another...

I had to emacs the kernel to do it 'tho...    (change /etc/init to /etc/Xnit,
then use eeprom -i to make the diagbootpath /Xunix, and the normalbootpath
/vmunix, the normabootdev should be left alone [le(0,0,0), or se(0,0,0)], and the
diagbootdev should be set to le(0,0,0) [the Xkernel has no disk support, to save
memmory for things it needs like background bitmaps...).
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"