[comp.windows.x] Motif on Sparc

druid@lia.COM (Andrew Kerne) (01/10/91)

First of all, i must mention that we use X11R4 here and not
OpenWindows, because of performance and because configuration and
software seem much more reliable.

As for the problem with shared libraries creating warning messages, i
dont know how to supress that.  This situation is so brain damaged
that if you have, as we do, in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, something like
	<X11R4 home>usr/lib:<openwindows home>/usr/lib>

and you run a Sun application that expects a higher minor rev of
sharable library than what is in the <X11R4 home>, it doesn't bother
to look in the other directory;; it does run, and it does complain.

Sun has done some software stuff nicely, like mmap(), but openWindows
and sharable libraries do not fall into that category.

libby@osf.ORG (01/10/91)

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) wrote:

> 4)  We're getting a crash in the sash handling in panedwindow.  It isn't
> consistant, but it sometimes happens just on refresh - has anyone seen
> this?

Used to be (way back when), you had to run a R4 server with the bc flag
to get around this bug. We thought we'd fixed all cases of it for 1.1,
though. If running with the bc flag fixes it, there's some additional
problem. Please let me know.

Libby

Libby Hanna - Motif QA              Open Software Foundation
libby@osf.osf.org                   Cambridge, MA   (617) 621-8820
This is your brain. This is your brain with Traversal turned on.
Any questions?

markham@cadence.COM (Jeff Markham) (01/11/91)

Hi,
  To my knowledge OpenWindows doesn't have a
  bc flag .. the closest thing to it is openwin -noauth
  but that only turns off the Magic Cookie stuff.

  Jeff
  markham@cadence.com