[comp.windows.x] xwd and xwud problem/feature

john@gec-marconi-software-systems.co.UK (John Farley) (01/10/91)

I have a small problem with the xwd and xwud clients. I am trying to
dump  windows that have  menus displayed. An example is xterm with the
main options menu displayed.

I dump the window using the following:-

	xwininfo (to get window id of the xterm to dump say 0x20000d)
	sleep 10 ; xwd -id 0x20000d > test1.wd

The sleep was to give me time to get to the xterm and and do a CTRL and
left mouse button to bring up the main options menu.

Now when I do a 'xwud -in test1.wd' the window dump of the xterm is
displayed but the menu I had activated is not shown, but any other window
overlapping the window I dumped is shown.

If I dump the root window then I get what I expected (ie the menu
is included in the dump). To do this I did :-

	sleep 10 ; xwd -root > test2.wd

Now is this a problem with my use of xwd? Is it a bug with xwd or xuwd?
Is this the way xwd is ment to work?

I am running X11R4 on a Sun 3/160 running SunOS 4.1 but where X11R4 was
compiled under SunOS 4.0.3. The build of our X was done about a year
ago so I don't know if any patches would have any effect on my problem.

Thanks for any information on this problem.

john@uk.co.gmsws

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) (01/12/91)

In article <14096.9101101526@fireball.gmsws.co.uk> john@gec-marconi-software-systems.co.UK (John Farley) writes:
>I have a small problem with the xwd and xwud clients.

>Now when I do a 'xwud -in test1.wd' the window dump of the xterm is
>displayed but the menu I had activated is not shown, but any other window
>overlapping the window I dumped is shown.

>Now is this a problem with my use of xwd? Is it a bug with xwd or xuwd?
>Is this the way xwd is ment to work?

Yes, because it just does an XGetImage() of the window and outputs whatever
the server returns.

Sounds like you have a problem with `SaveUnders' on the popup.  Xterm uses the
Athena SimpleMenu widget which is a subclass of the OverrideShell which sets
"saveUnder" to be true.  Try executing the xterm with the following ...

	xterm -xrm "*saveUnder: false" ...

and now try dumping it.

A better solution to dumping overlapping windows and bits of windows is to
use the "xgrabsc" utility that was published in comp.sources.x last year.
If you can't get it from the info-server in London or via ftp on expo then
I can mail you the source.

Richard Hesketh
Computing Officer, Computing Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury,
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, United Kingdom.
        Tel: +44 227 764000 ext 7620/7590      Fax: +44 227 762811