[comp.windows.x] purpose of x logo?

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (01/06/91)

This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the purpose
of the "Xlogo" program?  I don't see a man page for it in my Esix docs.

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3

woan@nowhere (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) (01/06/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
Bill> This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the
Bill> purpose of the "Xlogo" program?  I don't see a man page for it
Bill> in my Esix docs.

Does everything have to have a use? It is my impression that it's just
a sample program that put's an X on the screen...
+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/07/91)

In article <4683@awdprime.UUCP>, woan@nowhere (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) writes:
|> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
|> Bill> This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the
|> Bill> purpose of the "Xlogo" program?  I don't see a man page for it
|> Bill> in my Esix docs.
|>
|> Does everything have to have a use? It is my impression that it's just
|> a sample program that put's an X on the screen...

Well, it has at certain use at least for me. I use it during the startup of
my X Window session. My .xsession file looks like this:

1. start xlogo
2. run xrdb to load resources to the server
3. run xhost
4. start some "real" clients, i. e. clients that will not terminate immediately
5. kill xlogo
6. run the window manager

Without xlogo running the server would reset after the xhost command and
thus forget all resources that have been loaded before with xrdb. This is
even true if the -retain option of xrdb is used. (For reasons too long to
be explained here xhost must be run *after* xrdb.)

This "problem" of the server resetting after the last connection has been
closed I had never experienced before until I got an experimental server
for a certain X terminal. First I thought this were a server bug, but - if
I understood the documentation right - this is just the way things should
work.

Comments?

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/07/91)

    Without xlogo running the server would reset after the xhost command and
    thus forget all resources that have been loaded before with xrdb.

Both xdm and xinit keep a connection to the server open for the duration
of your session, so that such kludgery on your part is not required.  If
you aren't using one of these, or something equivalent that also keeps a
connection open, well, perhaps you should.

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (01/07/91)

>Both xdm and xinit keep a connection to the server open for the duration
>of your session, so that such kludgery on your part is not required.  If
>you aren't using one of these, or something equivalent that also keeps a
>connection open, well, perhaps you should.

Thanks for the explanation! In fact I did not start my X session by xdm or
xinit but simply by running .xsession from an xterm on another server. This
worked "well" (i. e. without removing the resource database) with the NCD16 I
had before, but now I have a Tandberg Data TDV 6230 with an X11.4 beta test
server. Seems "well" was not so well...

Best regards
Rainer Klute

daniel@island.COM (Daniel Smith "innovation, not litigation...") (01/08/91)

> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
> Bill> This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the
> Bill> purpose of the "Xlogo" program?  I don't see a man page for it
> Bill> in my Esix docs.

	1) isn't it based on some athena widget?  In that case, it's
	a working example.

	2) make it full size and hide all your important work under it
	when you go to lunch :-)

	3) marketing departments probably lobbied for it, so that they
	could design ads where they can "prove" that their product runs
	with X (you almost always see xlogo running in ads and at shows :-)

	4) harmless program to experiment with when trying to grok
	X resource specifications (changing colors, size, placement).

	5) ESIX is obviously missing out some important documentation!

				Daniel

--
daniel@island.com  .....Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)
daniel@world.std.com ...4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) (01/08/91)

>From: bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser)
>Subject: purpose of x logo?
>
>This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the purpose
>of the "Xlogo" program?  I don't see a man page for it in my Esix docs.

I start xlogo as the last program in my init file and leave it in the
foreground.  When I kill the xlogo program my X server quits too.
I don't know if this is the intended application or not.
--
// Mark M. Fisher
// fish@gemed.ge.com

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (01/08/91)

In article <4683@awdprime.UUCP> woan@nowhere (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) writes:

   Does everything have to have a use?

Well...  Yes.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen@parc.xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

jim@ncd.COM (Jim Fulton) (01/08/91)

> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
> Bill> This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the
> Bill> purpose of the "Xlogo" program?

It was therapy for a certain Consortium director who was so busy filling out
mind-numbing paperwork to get the Consortium started while battling to get
R2 out that he didn't have time to do anything fun.  All that was left
at the end of that release (as most) were little puddles of eX people....

Plus, it was another client we could list in the release notes!

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (01/10/91)

In article <JANSSEN.91Jan7171329@holmes.parc.xerox.com>, janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
> In article <4683@awdprime.UUCP> woan@nowhere (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) writes:
>
>    Does everything have to have a use?
>
> Well...  Yes.

Ok, I use it to test my X server port (which isn't yet robust 'nuf to run anything
that does much more, donno why yet...)
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (01/16/91)

In article <12333@sybase.sybase.com> forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) writes:
>In article <4683@awdprime.UUCP> woan@peyote.cactus.org writes:
>>bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>Bill> This is probably a pretty dumb question -- but just what is the
>>Bill> purpose of the "Xlogo" program?
>>

>My guess is that it is a good example of an X program that doesn't
>do much but, in order to be displayed, demonstrates that much of
>the components of an X environment are working properly.
>
>It doesn't do much but if it works that this shows that a substantial
>amount of the system-dependent parts of our software is working.

Nah.

I think it's to show off that you're running X.

Where I work, most people use SunView, but we're ever so
slowly converting to X.  People have xlogo up to show
off that they're "cool"..

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
        mcdchg!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us