[comp.windows.x] Looking for UI builders with X

stasko@par.gatech.edu (John Stasko) (01/17/91)

Hello,
I'm teaching a graduate seminar course about UI software this quarter.
Our goal is to have the students develop UI's under a variety of
paradigms and systems, and then be able to critique and compare what
we looked at.  Our focus is very much software--other courses
emphasize the human factors aspect of the problem.  I have been
beating the bush for UI toolkits|builders|management systems|etc.
without a lot of success.  This is probably due to the following
parameters:

Environment: SPARCs--OS 4.1 (actually, this isn't a problem)
Cost: free
Installation: pretty easy (these are)

Unfortunately, we do not have OpenLook (yet) or Motif (yet) but
hopefully, they'll be here soon.  I think I'm pretty well aware of
what's out there right now, but I thought I'd just give this broad
forum one try.  Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the X conf and
(esp) the Monday tutorial on this very subject.

Maybe there are some generous corporate folks out there who, out of
the goodness of their heart, would like to pass along some commercial
software (for free) and have some bright students beat on it.  :^)

Thanks for any help that comes along.  My need is immediate--the
course is going on now.
--John
John Stasko                      uucp:  ...!{decvax,hplabs}!gatech!cc!stasko
Assistant Professor              Internet: stasko@cc.gatech.edu
College of Computing             (404) 853-9386
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia  30332-0280

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) (01/17/91)

In article <721@mephisto.edu> stasko@par.gatech.edu (John Stasko) writes:

>I have been
>beating the bush for UI toolkits|builders|management systems|etc.
>without a lot of success.  This is probably due to the following
>parameters:
>
>Environment: SPARCs--OS 4.1 (actually, this isn't a problem)
>Cost: free
>Installation: pretty easy (these are)

"Dirt" is a UI Builder for the Xt Intrinsics and a number of Widget Sets.
Its free, quite easy to install (normally .. "xmkmf; make World") and
works on SPARCs (I use it most days on a SPARC1 SunOS 4.0.3 but I have been
told it runs under 4.1).

The first Alpha release is available for anonymous ftp from
expo.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.212] under:

	/contrib/dirt.README
	/contrib/dirt.A1.7.tar.Z
	/contrib/dirt.patchA1.8.Z  (a patch for the above distribution)

There is also a "dirt-users" mailing list (with currently >100 names on it 8-).
Send mail to "dirt-users-request@ukc.ac.uk" to be added to this list.
I am very much interested in getting critical as well as pragmatic feedback
from users!

>Unfortunately, we do not have OpenLook (yet) or Motif (yet) but
>hopefully, they'll be here soon.

Unfortunately Dirt is yet to support either the OpenLook or Motif widget set.
This is being worked on .. although I haven't much time spare!  Dirt was
designed to be expandable to any other widget set but does require some extra
coding such as TypeToString converters for new resource types used by these
widgets.

If you want more specifics contact me directly.

Richard Hesketh
Computing Officer, Computing Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury,
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, United Kingdom.
        Tel: +44 227 764000 ext 7620/7590      Fax: +44 227 762811