[net.news] HELP! RUSH! need info on EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

tks@cbscc.UUCP (Tom Snow) (09/13/85)

HELP!  I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ....  RUSH! I WAS JUST GIVEN THE ASSIGNMENT
BUT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DESIGNED YESTERDAY (TYPICAL) !

I have a design need where I must convert between EBCDIC to ASCII code
and visa versa.

The hardware I must interface to is an old IBM 360/50 hooked to an IBM
1052 console. I need to pick off the data stream from the interconnecting
cables and convert the data from IBM EBCDIC code to standard ASCII code
on a serial RS232  port.

Does anyone out there know if "such-a-animal" exists?

It could be a hardware or software or combination solution, I'm open
for suggestions, before I have to design it from the beginning.

If you can be of any help call me at (614)860-4455 or send by electronic
mail to  ...!cbosgd!cbsck!tks

			Thanks!  Tom Snow - AT&TBL Columbus, Ohio

rlk@chinet.UUCP (Richard L. Klappal) (09/15/85)

try the dd(1) program in UN*X, or a simple table lookup, depending
on how your code is designed.  Be carefull of sign extension when
reading 8 bit characters with the hi bit set.
Most computer handbooks/encyclopedias have both ASCII and EBCDIC
tables in them if you have to roll your own.
ZZ

--

Richard Klappal

UUCP:		..!ihnp4!chinet!uklpl!rlk  | "Money is truthful.  If a man
MCIMail:	rklappal		   | speaks of his honor, make him
Compuserve:	74106,1021		   | pay cash."
USPS:		1 S 299 Danby Street	   |
		Villa Park IL 60181	   |	Lazarus Long
TEL:		(312) 620-4988		   |	    (aka R. Heinlein)

ncc6933@ritcv.UUCP (IT) (09/21/85)

In article <5896@cbscc.UUCP> tks@cbscc.UUCP (Tom Snow) writes:
>I have a design need where I must convert between EBCDIC to ASCII code
>and visa versa.
>
>The hardware I must interface to is an old IBM 360/50 hooked to an IBM
>1052 console. I need to pick off the data stream from the interconnecting
>cables and convert the data from IBM EBCDIC code to standard ASCII code
>on a serial RS232 port.

I should like to point out that the information going over to the 1052
typer is more than likely not EBCDIC, but rather the classic Selectric
typer "rotate/tilt" code.  The 1052's that I had to deal with all
required this rather strange code.

And, while I can probably dig out some ancient manual with said codes
and voltages, I really wonder if what you're proposing is feasible.

						Norm Crowfoot, RIT
						716/244-5830 x 3574

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (09/27/85)

> In article <5896@cbscc.UUCP> tks@cbscc.UUCP (Tom Snow) writes:
> >I have a design need where I must convert between EBCDIC to ASCII code
> >and visa versa.
> >
> >The hardware I must interface to is an old IBM 360/50 hooked to an IBM
> >1052 console.
>
> I should like to point out that the information going over to the 1052
> typer is more than likely not EBCDIC, but rather the classic Selectric
> typer "rotate/tilt" code.
>
> 						Norm Crowfoot, RIT
Even when you have the EBCDIC, I remember another difference between EBCDIC
(as sent/received by a 360) and ASCII - they're sent in opposite bit orders.
(So you have to store reverse the ASCII in the 360 to send it.)
--henry schaffer