[comp.windows.x] SUMMARY: porting Motif 1.1 to Interactive

arm@sps.com (Annette Myjak) (01/18/91)

Below is a summary of the information I received in response to my request
concerning the difficulty of porting Motif 1.1 for Interactive Unix.  Thanks
to all the folks who responded!  (I just love the wealth of info on the net!)

There were several requests to post a summary.  Hope everyone finds the
information useful.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with any of the companies/organizations/
people in the following summary.  I'm just sharing what I found out.

annette myjak
arm@sps.com

MetroLink's product was the most often recommended for a set of  X11R4 and
Motif 1.1 binaries.  Contact information for MetroLink and a few tidbits of
information from the fax I recieved are included below.

Thanks to the following net-people for refering me to MetroLink:

uunet!megasys.com!pax (Garry M. Paxinos)
uunet!sherman.unm.edu!gage
morgan@metro.metrolink.com (Morgan Von Essen)

Contact Info:
   Metro Link Incorporated
   2595 E. Sunrise Blvd.
   Ft. Lauderdale, FL   33304
   (305) 566-9586
   Email:  sales@metrolink.com

General Info:

Metro Link Incorporated is shipping an X11R4 server and Motif 1.1 for
ISC (v 2.0.2 or higher), ESIX and SCO.

Local STREAMS or TCP/IP server/client communications; several monitors and
graphics cards supported; shared libraries for small memory efficient clients;
Motif 1.1 user interface provided with development package; comes with standard
X11 clients.  (much more info provided in fax --- I recommend you call
and get a fax of your own!).

Pricing and warranty info:
X11R4 runtime: $ 299.00   w/o O'Reilly manuals
                 325.00   w/ O'Reilly X Windows Systems User's Guide

X11R4 development:  $299.00  w/o O'Reilly manuals
                     350.00  w/ O'Reilly Xlib Programming Manual and
                                         Xlib Reference Manual

30 days free technical support from date of purchase
30 day money back guarantee

Other info received:

From: pizzi@esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi)
Subject: Re: has anyone ported Motif 1.1 for Interactive Unix v2.2?

I did it some days ago, without any problem.
I compiled using gcc 1.37 libXm.a and mwm, but discarded Uil and all that
shit -- OK, I know most of you will not agree... :-)
I had to edit Makefiles by hand because I had not X11R4 sources available
on the hard drive.
Just be careful to use the correct defines (SYSV, etc -- I don't remember
exactly).

Rick

From: uunet!apple.com!netcom!mauro (Mauro DePalma)

  Iff the port is for X11R4, which I'm running under Interactive UNIX 2.2,
  from MIT at patchlevel 18.

   I will port FREE of charge Motif 1.1 if I'm provided with the source
  distribution and I can distribute (very possibly for a fee) any part
  of the port to System V/386 without paying royalties.

  I built X11R4 (patchlevel 18) and have been using it for several months,
  you couldn't pay me to go back to X11R3 from Interactive (or anyone else
  for that matter).

  Also I make very heavy use GNU s/w which I built and support for System V.

       Mauro DePalma           (mauro@netcom.uucp)

       DePalma SoftCraft
       2923 Cohansey Drive
       San Jose, CA 95132

       Voice: (408) 259-4789   Fax: (408) 259-6935

From: sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair)

Consider DELL Unix SYS V.4 . It has X11R4 & Motif 1.1 shipping
as an option to it *right now*. It also has quite a few enhancements
to optimize, and perform very well.

For more information, drop a note to: info@uudell.dell.com
to be shipped more information.