[comp.windows.x] X-windows screen dump

teexjrl@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Jack Levy) (01/16/91)

Does anyone know of a (preferably public-domain) program that will grab part of
an X-windows screen and turn it into printable form, such as PostScript?

Jack Levy
Computer Centre, University College London
Janet email to: J.Levy@uk.ac.ucl or teexjrl@uk.ac.lon.ioe

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.101014.12683@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexjrl@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Jack Levy) writes:

>Does anyone know of a (preferably public-domain) program that will grab part of
>an X-windows screen and turn it into printable form, such as PostScript?

Look at man pages for xwd and xpr. (On the X11R4 tapes) These two used together
will give you what you need.

dvb

David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb
voice: (818) 587-1247

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.151147.783@emisle.uucp> dvb@emisle.UUCP (David Van Beveren) writes:
>In article <1991Jan16.101014.12683@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexjrl@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Jack Levy) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a (preferably public-domain) program that will grab part of
>>an X-windows screen and turn it into printable form, such as PostScript?
>>
>Look at man pages for xwd and xpr. (On the X11R4 tapes) These two used together
>will give you what you need.

There are also xwd2ps and XtoPS, readily available at your favorite
archive.  We find them to be much nicer, primarily because they generate
EPSF, which we can use on our color printers.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Offensive quote coming soon to a .signature file near you.

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/18/91)

(Jack Levy) writes:
|> Does anyone know of a (preferably public-domain) program that will grab
|> part of
|> an X-windows screen and turn it into printable form, such as
|> PostScript?

Try xwd together with xpr to get a window to PostScript. If you use xsnap
with xpr you can transform any rectangular part of the screen to
PostScript..

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet