[comp.windows.x] How does OIL work?

ianr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) (01/17/91)

As far as I know, OIL provides a C++ interface to both Motif and OL *at the
same time*.

Does anybody have some references (technical or otherwise) that I can look up
to learn about OIL (without having to buy a Soulbourne :-)

I'm most interested in the underlying class representation/organisation of the
interface to the two widget sets.

Thanks,

Ian Rogers

Janet/Arpa:     ianr@uk.ac.susx.cogs  |   Cognitive & Computing Sciences
      uucp:            ukc!cogs!ianr  |   Sussex University, Falmer,
     voice: +44-(0)273-606755  x2392  |   Brighton, England.

         "This has been an ACME Straight To The Point production" :-)

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) (01/17/91)

In article <4214@syma.sussex.ac.uk> ianr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Ian Rogers) writes:

>Does anybody have some references (technical or otherwise) that I can look up
>to learn about OIL (without having to buy a Soulbourne :-)

There was a paper by Gary Atkin of Solbourne at last years X Technical
Conference entitled:

	"OI: A Model Extensible C++ Toolkit for the X Window System"

This describes the Object Interface Library in the sort of detail you
probably want.

toml@ninja.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (01/18/91)

   As far as I know, OIL provides a C++ interface to both Motif and OL *at the
   same time*.

   Does anybody have some references (technical or otherwise) that I can look up
   to learn about OIL (without having to buy a Soulbourne :-)

   I'm most interested in the underlying class representation/organisation of the
   interface to the two widget sets.

For the record it is called OI (for Object Interface).

You can read Gary Aitken's paper if you can find a copy of the proceedings
of the 1990 X Technical Conference.  I'm pretty sure we will also be placing
Postscript copies of the OI tutorial notes from this years X Technical
Conference on expo.

--
Tom LaStrange        toml@Solbourne.COM