[comp.windows.x] 'Grid' Widget

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (01/20/91)

> Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
> From: andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen)
> Subject: 'Grid' widget?
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 1991 23:16:21 GMT
>
> Here's an interesting question... does there somewhere exist a widget
> that allows one to make arbitrary (N-of-many) selections from a grid?
>
> I'm thinking of something with functionality similar to the 'bitmap'
> editor; that is, a matrix of arbitrary size with elements that are either
> on or off.  Hopefully it would be intuitive to use; if you clicked on
> an element that was 'off', it would change to 'on', with similar support
> for a 'drag' function (to turn many elements in a rectangular area
> on or off).

	There is a widget called PixelEditor that contains a superset of the
	functionality of the 'bitmap' program, and is intended for programs
	that need editable grids and arrays (image editors, font editors,
	toggling bits in a word, etc.).  Alsong with the widget comes a
	sample bitmap editor program that shows how the widget can be used.

	The widget is available as a part of the "Free Widgets" release --
	an attempt now underway to collect a set of useful, public widgets
	and prevent people from duplicating work.

	The current release can be ftp'ed from the machine a.cs.uiuc.edu
	in the directory /pub in the file fwf.shar.Z.  There are many other
	widgets in there also, and we are attempting to add more, improve
	the build system, and allow other forms of distribution.

							--- Bri

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"