[comp.windows.x] Why `widgets'?

jan@golf.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch) (01/21/91)

Just after a bit of history: who decided to call Xt objects `widgets'?
And why? What exactly does the word mean? (My dictionary hasn't even
caught up with Xlib yet :-().

+----------------------+---+
  Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
  University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616
  Australia. Tel: (Aust) 6-2522422. Fax: (Aust) 6-2522999

  AARnet: jan@ise.canberra.edu.au
  ARPA:   jan%ise.canberra.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
  UUCP:   {uunet,ukc}!munnari!ise.canberra.edu.au!jan
  JANET:  jan%au.edu.canberra.ise@EAN-RELAY

+--------------------------+

asente@adobe.com (Paul Asente) (01/22/91)

In article <jan.664416457@golf> jan@golf.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch) writes:
>Just after a bit of history: who decided to call Xt objects `widgets'?
>And why? What exactly does the word mean? (My dictionary hasn't even
>caught up with Xlib yet :-().

From the introduction to "X Window System Toolkit" by Ralph Swick and myself:

	In the very first joint meeting of the DEC, HP, and MIT teams,
	the question of naming the components that implement look and
	feel was addressed.  All agreed that the term @i[tool] used by
	Digital was too generic, as was the term @i[object].  The term
	used by Hewlett-Packard, @i[field editor], was thought to be
	too specific and a little unwieldy.  Finally, the members
	adopted the nonpartisan term @i[widget], and X usurped yet
	another generic word for a specific usage.@footnote(Precisely
	who coined the term is a somewhat contentious point that will
	probably remain shrouded in obscurity.)

As to what the word means, it's American jargon for an unspecified small
thing. Microeconomics texts are full of references to widget-making
factories.

	-paul asente
		asente@adobe.com	...decwrl!adobe!asente