[comp.windows.x] Color Postscript

leconte@irisa.fr (Thierry Leconte) (01/22/91)

From article <11627@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, by bam@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Brad Myers):
> How do I make a color postscript file from the results of xwd on a color
> window?  xpr does not seem to have an option to make a color postscript file
> for printing on a color printer.

With the poskanzer utilities :
xwdtoppm yourfile | ppmtops > yourfile.ps

I never try because I have not the chance to have a
color postscript printer.
But I have allready try :
xwdtoppm myfile | ppmtopgm | pgmtops > myfile.ps
to print greyscale output of a color window dump.

> Thanks!
> Brad Myers  bam@cs.cmu.edu

|   Thierry LECONTE     |      ,      ,---   ,---         |
|     INRIA/IRISA       |     /      /      /---          |
|  Campus de Beaulieu   |    (___   (___   (___           |
|  35042 RENNES CEDEX   |                                 |
|        FRANCE         |        (INRIA/BULL)             |
| Tel: 99 36 20 00      e-mail: Thierry.Leconte@irisa.fr  |

nihei@astaire.src.ricoh.co.jp (Nihei Akira) (01/23/91)

In article <11627@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, bam@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Brad Myers) writes:
> How do I make a color postscript file from the results of xwd on a color
> window?  xpr does not seem to have an option to make a color postscript file
> for printing on a color printer.

xwd2ps can be used for this task.
It is available via anonomous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu in

	contrib/xwd2ps.tar.Z

Here is a part of the README file:

The program xwd2ps allows standard X11 color window dumps to be
printed on color or monochrome PostScript printers.  It was originally
written to enable the printing of 24 bit images on a color PostScript
printer.  Because of the large size of the typical 24 bit color image,
much time was spent increasing the printing performance (run length
encoding is used to reduce the size of the downloaded PostScript file
which dramatically decreases transmission time).  A typical full color
image prints much faster with xwd2ps than the other programs currently
available.  Another performance improvement in xwd2ps is the use of a
color map in the PostScript file.  This allows just the 8 bits of
display information plus the colormap to be downloaded, rather than
converting a color mapped display into full color PostScript (about a 3*x
savings in file size and transmission time).

In addition to performance enchancements, xwd2ps supports a number of
output ornamentations (labels, company logo, thin borders, etc.)
which are useful when giving presentations.  These features are being
used at G.E. Corporate Research and Development.

Currently, the program supports and has been tested with xwd window dumps
from 4 bit, 8 bit, and 24 bit displays.  It has been ported to 680x0,
sparc, 80x86, mips and VAX architechures.  While it has not been
possible to test all possible configurations, it is believed that the
code is quite portable.
	:
	:

--