[comp.windows.x] xfig

Lanning.pa@XEROX.COM (Stan Lanning) (11/09/88)

And while you're at it, on a Sun4 under OS4, the panel menu appears to be
displayed twice in invert mode, with a net result of a lot of blank boxes
to choose from.

----- smL

henglein@paul.rutgers.edu (Fritz Henglein) (11/09/88)

I have just received X11R3, and I have tried to install one of the two
figure drawing programs, xfig and xpic, included in part 1 of the user
contributed software, unfortunately unsuccessfully in both cases.

More specifically, xfig contains the line

                extern XrmDatabase XtDefaultDB;

in main.c; I couldn't find such a thing as an XtDefaultDB anywhere in
the whole distribution, though.  After nulling XtDefaultDB, xfig
started up and drew some nice figures, but pressing the right mouse
button in the canvas area, which is supposed to make a menu pop up
with all sorts of essential options, would invariably cause a segmentation
error.  The rather suspicious definition of the routine
set_popupmenu in the file popup.c is

set_popupmenu(event)
	INPUTEVENT	*event;
{
}

If somebody knows what the definition of this procedure really ought to
be and if somebody could tell me, more generally, how to get xfig
to work on a Sun3/SunOS3.5 system, I'd be most thankful.

Please forgive my general ignorance about the internals of the
X windows system (I program in SETL).  Also, since I don't
read comp.windows.x regularly, I would appreciate a direct email response
very much.

Thank you very much in advance,
Fritz Henglein
(henglein@{nyu.edu, acf2.nyu.edu, paul.rutgers.edu})

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (11/10/88)

Patches to the R3 distribution to xfig have been sent to
comp.windows.x and will be stored on expo as soon as our link to the
outside world has been restored.

These patches have been tested on a Vax (binaries) going to a Sun mono
server and seem OK.

They fix the XDefaultDB problem, the menus coming up in the wrong
place problem, selecting ellipses in the center, and some of the
writing out of zero sized objects.

If there are any other problems, please let me know (with hardware
description if possible).

Enjoy,
--
+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (11/14/88)

| From: dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee)
|
| Patches to the R3 distribution to xfig have been sent to comp.windows.x
| and will be stored on expo

  Unfortunately the indicated patches don't deal with the undefined
XtRFloat in main.c.  I'm not an Xpert, so I'm mostly flailing around
trying to find where values are actually converted.  I'm trying to
determine if I just add XtRFloat back to X11/StringDefs.h whether things
will hang together or die.  I haven't seen anything on this in the news
group or the documentation other than to indicate that XtRFloat *is*
supposed to be there (chapter 9 of the Xt manual).  Can anyone shed some
light on this?

Casey

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (11/15/88)

Sorry folks.  The patch I sent out for xfig was made from an
intermediate (slighly fixed) version of main.c, and therefore didn't
include the line that fixed the XtRFloat problem.  Below is the patch
(added to the file on expo).

*** /tmp/d22628	Mon Nov 14 11:28:55 1988
--- main.c	Wed Nov  9 13:25:56 1988
***************
*** 178,183
  int	landscape;
  float	tmp_width = 0.0, tmp_height = 0.0;

  static XtResource application_resources[] = {
  	{XtNjustify, XtCJustify, XtRBoolean, sizeof(int),
  		 (Cardinal)&RHS_PANEL, XtRBoolean, (caddr_t)&false},

--- 178,185 -----
  int	landscape;
  float	tmp_width = 0.0, tmp_height = 0.0;

+ #define XtRFloat                "Float"
+

mikew@tarfoo.wyse.com (Mike Wexler) (11/16/88)

In article <17883@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:
>  Unfortunately the indicated patches don't deal with the undefined
>XtRFloat in main.c.
XtRFloat is defined in <X11/Scroll.h>.  I added #include <X11/Scroll.h>
to fig.h and it worked.  I should have mentioned this when I sent out
the patch.  Hopefully Dana Chee will send me a blessed patch that includes
this fix.

Mike Wexler(wyse!mikew or mikew@wyse.com)    Phone: (408)433-1000 x1330
Moderator of comp.sources.x

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (11/16/88)

Can anyone advise me how to proceed to use 'xfig' in X10R4?
e-mail please. Thank you.

-Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\ INTERNET: bt@irfu.se   UUCP: ...!enea!kuling!irfu!bt   IP: 192.36.174.1
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (11/19/88)

| From: dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee)
|
| Sorry folks.  The patch I sent out for xfig was made from an intermediate
| (slighly fixed) version of main.c, and therefore didn't include the line
| that fixed the XtRFloat problem.  Below is the patch (added to the file
| on expo).

  Thanks for your work Dana, but could you provide separate patch files
in the future?  (e.g. this latest should have been xfig.r2.patch2.)  It
makes it very difficult for people who have already grabbed the first
file and applied it.

Casey

kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (02/18/89)

[ venky@cs.buffalo.edu (Ramadoss Venkatesan) writes: ]

> Could someone tell me from where I can ftp the source, makefile, manual pages
> etc. for XFIG?

There is a version on the X11R3 contrib tape.  There is also a version
on expo in oldcontrib/xfig.  I do not have any idea what versions these are
or even if they are different.  All I know is that something exists in each of
these places that calls itself xfig.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium /
						Project Athena

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-321
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (02/21/89)

In article <8902171809.AA12137@DORA.MIT.EDU> kit@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) writes:

   [ venky@cs.buffalo.edu (Ramadoss Venkatesan) writes: ]

   > Could someone tell me from where I can ftp the source, makefile, manual pages
   > etc. for XFIG?

   There is a version on the X11R3 contrib tape.  There is also a version
   on expo in oldcontrib/xfig.  I do not have any idea what versions these are
   or even if they are different.  All I know is that something exists in each of
   these places that calls itself xfig.

						   Chris D. Peterson
						   MIT X Consortium /
						   Project Athena

The xfig in oldcontrib is pre R3.  I don't believe it has all of the
patches available.  The xfig on the contrib tape for R3 is the current
version.  It has three patches which bring it completely (?) up to
date.  They are available from the comp.sources.x archives as xfig
patches 4-6 (1-3 were for xfig from R2), or from expo in the files
xfig.r3.patch[1-3].

--
+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *
*  Bellcore								  *
*  Room 2Q-250								  *
*  445 South Street			ARPA: dana@bellcore.com		  *
*  Morristown,  NJ  07960-1910		UUCP: {gateways}!bellcore!dana	  *
+*************************************************************************+

mohammad@hpclmp.HP.COM (Mohammad Pourheidari) (05/31/89)

Can someone please tell me where I can find the latest sources and
documentation for xfig (or some other tool that can draw pictures
for LaTeX documents).

mohammad%hpclmp@hplabs.hp.com

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (01/23/91)

Hi all.

I am trying to make xfig for the RS/6000.  We only have the X11R3
provided by IBM; we do not have X11R4 (and getting same will be a
little painful for the time being).

Making xfig was not too bad.  However, the text tool (menu item "T")
doesn't work.  All other menu items seem to work OK, but when I try to
put text into the drawing, xfig dies (with an "Alarm clock" error)
as soon as I type a character.

Suggestions?  Please respond by E-mail, since this probably isn't of
widespread interest.
--
      Art Werschulz
      InterNet:  agw@cs.columbia.edu

johnsen@sintef.no (Bernt Marius Johnsen) (01/23/91)

Have you heard of a VAX/VMS port of xfig (tool for drawing figures for
LaTeX etc.) ?

Thanks,

wanvik@sintef.no
johnsen@sintef.no