[comp.windows.x] 'more' couldn't scroll in xterm

unix307@emx.utexas.edu (Shane Chang) (01/23/91)

Just spend several days to put X11R4 on the Sun SparcStation1 (SunOS
4.0.3) and played with it.  Everything seems o.k. except in xterm
'more' and 'history' (csh) always clear the screen first and then
display.  The previous screen and previous prompt are not scrolled
up and off the top but simply wiped out.  If the new screen has
wraparound lines then they are messed up with the leftover from
previous screen. However 'cat' does work prefectly.

When I rlogin to other systems and running their xterms, none of them
has any problem (either in the same rlogin xterm winodw or a created
new one).

I've checked stty and even copied a new entry for xterm in termcap but
still couldn't figure out where the problem is.  I have applied all 18
patches when I compiled the source.  I have tried almost all the
possible combinations under 'Modes' menu.  Could someone please give
me any help?

As a beginner to X, allow me to ask two more related questions:

1. When I use the first button to select a wraparound command line and
use the second button to reissue it, it couldn't work (the first line
always terminated prematurely).  But copying plain text between files
works fine.  Do I have to break it?

2. As a last shot, I ftp'd the color_xterm and compiled it.  Not only
I still have the same problem, but any move in the xterm window which
invoked the color_xterm as a background always kills the child:
   Reset tty pgrp from [new pid] to [old pid].
What did I do wrong?

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

-- shane     unix307@emx.utexas.edu
             shane@slave.ae.utexas.edu

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (01/24/91)

In article <43000@ut-emx.uucp>, unix307@emx.utexas.edu (Shane Chang) writes:
> Just spend several days to put X11R4 on the Sun SparcStation1 (SunOS
> 4.0.3) and played with it.  Everything seems o.k. except in xterm
> 'more' and 'history' (csh) always clear the screen first and then
> display.  The previous screen and previous prompt are not scrolled
> up and off the top but simply wiped out.  If the new screen has
> wraparound lines then they are messed up with the leftover from
> previous screen. However 'cat' does work prefectly.
>
> When I rlogin to other systems and running their xterms, none of them
> has any problem (either in the same rlogin xterm winodw or a created
> new one).

Your SPARC most likely has messed up ti and te (or the terminfo equivlents)
termcap entrys.  Try checking to see if it is the same as the "other systems"'s.
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"