[comp.windows.x] MIT X11R4 and DEC DS5000 PGX Ultrix-4.1: How?

booga@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve Jankowski [bridgehead]) (01/22/91)

Alright, I know this has been asked before, but I didn't expect
this machine to be here so soon..

How does one build/acquire generic X11R4 for the machine and
OS stated in the Subject: ?

We just acquired a DECstation 5000/200 PXG (super mondo 24bit color
zbuffer 19monitor zowie).  We've had a couple of other decstations
for awhile and were... unsatistified with DECwindows.  So we built
X11R4 and we were happy.  But those machines are color DS3100's.
Apparently the DS5100 is much different because there's no chance
that the ddx code on tape-1 is going to work (there's header files
on the 3100's [Ultrix 3.5] that just don't exist in any form on
the new machine [Ultrix 4.1]).  Yes, we started the build with
a source tree patched to fix-18.

In any case, we'd like a plain ol' X server for this machine.
If it supports the 24-bit stuff that would be most excellent...

Thanks

Steve Jankowski		booga@polyslo.calpoly.edu
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, Computer Science
Systems Administrator       (uunet!pyramid!polyslo!booga)

--
Steve Jankowski ----------------------------------  ( 2b | ~2b )  ----------
booga@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU                               ~0

evans@decvax.DEC.COM (Marc Evans) (01/25/91)

In article <279bec43.3445@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, booga@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve Jankowski [bridgehead]) writes:

|> Alright, I know this has been asked before, but I didn't expect
|> this machine to be here so soon..
|>
|> How does one build/acquire generic X11R4 for the machine and
|> OS stated in the Subject: ?

The only way you may be able to do this is to buy the source license to Ultrix,
which should contain the sources for DECwindows. Using these sources, you would
then figure out how to merge the ddx layer specific to the 5000 series machines
into the "generic X11R4" tree.

In other words, you can't do what you want to without alot of money...

>In any case, we'd like a plain ol' X server for this machine.
>If it supports the 24-bit stuff that would be most excellent...

Whats wrong with the server provided with the system? Is it that you just don't
*think* that it is what you want, or do you have *real* problems with it?

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076