[comp.windows.x] What is apE and where do I find it?

kk@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Konstantinos Konstantinides) (01/19/91)

apE is a visualization package from the Ohio supercomputer center.
It looks like AVS (except it is buggier and cheaper :-) )

It costs about $75.00 (maybe less for schools) and you get both
binaries (for Suns and SGI's) and sources.

For more info send mail to: michelle@osgp.osc.edu
 or                         ape@ape.osgp.osc.edu

Phone: (614) 292-0006
More info in (anon. ftp) ape.osgp.osc.edu ( 128.146.18.18 )
                          in pub/doc/info

K. Konstantinides
kk@hpkronos.hpl.hp.com

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (01/20/91)

Funny you should ask, as in today's mail I received a new issue of
PIXEL, issue Nov/Dec 1990 (hmm, are they late publishing or is the
usnail way late; probably shouldn't ask.  ;-)  ), which contains an
article by Mark VandeWettering, entitled "apE 2.0":

    "apE is a general-purpose scientific visualization program that
is designed to be not only portable but extendable... builds new
visualization applications by using a visual data-flow programming
language."

See the magazine for a good description of the software.

                                  - MJB -

                           USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (01/21/91)

In article <38230@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>Funny you should ask, as in today's mail I received a new issue of
>PIXEL, issue Nov/Dec 1990 (hmm, are they late publishing or is the
>usnail way late; probably shouldn't ask.  ;-)  ), which contains an
>article by Mark VandeWettering, entitled "apE 2.0":

 	    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My name in lights!!!!!

Gee, someone receives copies of this magazine besides me ;-)

Unfortunately, you are right, the publishing date slipped quite a bit.
According to my editor, we are at the mercy of the submissions that we
solicit, and we try to keep the quality of the magazine up, so we had to
wait this issue longer than I would have liked.  I must give special
thanks for all the apE crew who hurried software to us, only to have the
issue held up for other reasons.  Sorry guys!

If you are interested in apE, this article + another one in IEEE CG&A
by Scott Dyer (can't recall the date, but within the past year) will
serve as a pretty good introduction.  The article also includes
ordering information and some cute pictures that I did with apE during
my testing period.  Some people in the lab I work in are really enthused
about it (and they are real science types) and now that the real
documentation is available it is even better.

Give it a shot.  Revolutionize the world of science.

Mark VandeWettering
Mark VandeWettering
markv@acm.princeton.edu

bglenden@colobus.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) (01/23/91)

Can anyone contrast apE with Khoros and AVS? Which has the best
programs? Which is the easiest to program in? If you guess wrong about
which one of these is going to win, are the "pipe" paradigms similar
is it fairly straightforward to recode in another environment.

Since we're thinking about a modern interface to our
radio-astronomical "image processing" software, advice is welcome.

Brian
--
       Brian Glendenning - National Radio Astronomy Observatory
bglenden@nrao.edu          bglenden@nrao.bitnet          (804) 296-0286

scott@osc.edu (Scott Dyer) (01/26/91)

In article <63770004@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com>, kk@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Konstantinos Konstantinides) writes:
> apE is a visualization package from the Ohio supercomputer center.
> It looks like AVS (except it is buggier and cheaper :-) )

Judge for yourself.  apE was originally developed for SUN and SGI machines,
and we've ported it to a variety of other machines.  Most vendors have provided
support (in the form of loaners or donations); HP did not and that probably
contributes to the "buggier" complaint.  Most of the bugs are in particular X
servers; even the HP version is fine if displayed on the (for example) SUN
server.

> It costs about $75.00 (maybe less for schools) and you get both
> binaries (for Suns and SGI's) and sources.
>
> For more info send mail to: michelle@osgp.osc.edu
>  or                         ape@ape.osgp.osc.edu
>
> Phone: (614) 292-0006
> More info in (anon. ftp) ape.osgp.osc.edu ( 128.146.18.18 )
>                           in pub/doc/info
>
> K. Konstantinides
> kk@hpkronos.hpl.hp.com

This information is correct.

--Scott Dyer
  Associate Director Graphics Development, Ohio Supercomputer Center

--
 Scott Dyer				 | email: scott@osgp.osc.edu
 The Ohio Supercomputer Graphics Project | Phone: (614) 292-3274