[comp.windows.x] Problems with xdm and /usr/adm/wtmp

andrew@triton.unm.edu (Andrew Eberhart) (01/24/91)

I am having a problem with wtmp:

I am starting xdm in rc.local (and running Ultrix 4.1 X11R4 on some DEC 5000s).
My problem is it does not record people who use the console, or any xterms
opened from console in the /usr/adm/wtmp file.  I need to see who is using
these machines on console.  If someone can direct me towards a patch for
xdm or any other way of solving the problem, I would be grateful.

Please send e-mail to me at: andrew@blackstone.unm.edu

		Thanks,
		Andrew Eberhart

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan23.163935.3225@ariel.unm.edu> andrew@triton.unm.edu (Andrew Eberhart) writes:
>I am having a problem with wtmp:
>
>I am starting xdm in rc.local (and running Ultrix 4.1 X11R4 on some DEC 5000s).
>My problem is it does not record people who use the console, or any xterms
>opened from console in the /usr/adm/wtmp file.  I need to see who is using
>these machines on console.  If someone can direct me towards a patch for
>xdm or any other way of solving the problem, I would be grateful.

In all systems I have used, the console was not managed by xdm, although
some machines I have seen (HP, DECstations) which come up with a graphic
logon screen may be different. That's my $0.002 worth.

P.S. Something in your news software, or perhaps you, put a mail address in
     your followup-to field. This should only contain a newsgroup. Put a
     mail address in reply-to.

David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb
voice: (818) 587-1247
Newsgroups: andrew@blackstone.unm.edu
Subject: Re: Problems with xdm and /usr/adm/wtmp