[net.news] Usenet contacts

andy@Shasta.ARPA (10/11/85)

I know that this is a small matter compared to the keyword vs other
debate but ....

Is there some reason that there is no standard mail box at every site
for usenet problems, question, etc?  (For those of you with arpanet
experience, the postmaster address serves much the same purpose.)
As it is now, the contact address is usually a person.

There are two problems with that.  The first is rather trivial.
You always have to look up the correct name (and all the problems
that can cause).  The second is a little more serious.  People
aren't necessarily there just because the machine is.  Most of
the contacts take vacations and occasionally change jobs.  In
the latter case, the map entry gets updated but people who
"remember" are out of luck.  In the former case, well, when is
the last time you changed the map entry before you went on vacation?
(Given the map distribution delay, I'd be surprised if more than
a few ever do.)

If every site used postmaster (for argument's sake, pick another
name if it's better) as the usenet contact and it was locally
aliased to the correct person, neither of these problems would
exist.  You can go away for a week and know that usenet adminstration
mail is being delivered to someone (assuming you remembered to
update the alias) without giving them access to your mailbox.

Then again, this isn't very anarchistic.

-andy

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) (10/14/85)

In article <1049@Shasta.ARPA> andy@Shasta.ARPA writes:

>Is there some reason that there is no standard mail box at every site
>for usenet problems, question, etc?  (For those of you with arpanet
>experience, the postmaster address serves much the same purpose.)

The standard one is `usenet', unfortunately there are two problems:

	1. people set up shop without reading the documentation all
		the way (and therefore don't get to that little tidbit).

	2. the majority of mailers on the UUCP/USENET do not support
		mail aliasing as those of us fortunate enough to have
		2 or 4 BSD know it.

Fortunately, you are in a position to affect the behavior of your
neighbors. Since you know better, convince your UUCP/USENET neighbors
(the ones who you are most likely to have problems with in any case) to
set up such aliases (if that's possible on their system), and suggest
that they do so with their neighbors. Assure them that if they mail to
the appropriate address on YOUR system, that the problem will be taken
care of promptly, regardless of whether you handle it, or someone you
designate handles it.

Who knows? It might spread, and we could stop debating this topic...

	keeper of the network news for ucbvax,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (10/17/85)

In article <10649@ucbvax.ARPA> fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) writes:
[regarding standard mailboxes for usenet administrators:
>The standard one is `usenet', unfortunately there are two problems:
>
>	1. people set up shop without reading the documentation all
>		the way (and therefore don't get to that little tidbit).
>
>	2. the majority of mailers on the UUCP/USENET do not support
>		mail aliasing as those of us fortunate enough to have
>		2 or 4 BSD know it.

Erik,

Here's a quote from the 2.10.3 "install" document which was my guideline
for setting up the network news at MicroPro (besides your kind
assistance):

2.2.2.  NEWSUSR [define]

     This is the owner (user name) of inews.  If you  are  a
superuser,  you should probably create a new user id (tradi-
tionally news) and use this id.  If you are not a superuser,
         ^^^^
you  can  use  your  own  user  id.  If you are able to, you
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
should create a mail alias usenet  and  have  mail  to  this
alias  forwarded to you.  This will make it easier for other
sites to find the right person in the presence  of  changing
jobs  and  out  of  date  or  nonexistent  directory  pages.

[end of quote]

That's pretty vague.  I followed the instructions exactly.  I created
the user "news" as the network news superuser.  Since I was not able
to create a mail alias "usenet" I didn't, and ignored the rest of the
paragraph.

If I'd had more knowledge of the net at the time, and wasn't relying
solely on the instructions, I'd have created "usenet" to be the network
news superuser.

Maybe this paragraph should be rewritten.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development